1967 evinrude 9.5 bogging at high speed.

Evinrudej

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Moving along with the ‘67 evinrude 9.5 I’ve cleaned and rebuilt the carb (I was lazy and spray cleaned the orifices throughly), installed a 9.9 fuel pump and new fuel lines, new impeller, Didn’t test coils because the looked okay and I was getting good spark on both cylinders, cleaned and adjusted points. When I ran it in the test tank it was idling great pumping water great revving up fine until I put it into drive and tested it at full throttle it would bog down sometimes almost where it would die and then rev back up and then idle back down. I tried to take a video with it in neutral and you can hear the Rpms fluctuating at full throttle. I re checked my float and it looked leveled as it should be. It seems like a fuel issue to me but I’m not sure exactly. I also thought exhaust leak but it does this with the hood off too. The gas was brand new from that morning mixed 50:1

Attachments

• IMG_6784.MOV
    46.4 MB · Views: 0

RBoyd1971

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have one of those that gave me fits for a while because of the coils. When I removed them, they had cracked on the bottom side and were arcing to the magneto plate. Looked like new on top.

Evinrudej

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have one of those that gave me fits for a while because of the coils. When I removed them, they had cracked on the bottom side and were arcing to the magneto plate. Looked like new on top.
You were right on! The bottom cylinder coil has some small cracks on the bottom of it. They looked brand new from the top so I left them alone. Guess I should always check them with an multimeter from now on. Thanks for the tip hope this solves it