1966 9.5 Evinrude won’t start.

Harry B.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I’m working on it with my hunting buddy. It’s his motor.
It has spark on both cylinders and pops off a bit but won’t really run at all.
I squirted some ether in the carb but it didn’t make a difference (yea I know that’s not a real hot idea but I did it anyway).
Should I keep after the ignition system or dive into the carb next?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Spark on the plugs means nothing.----Does spark jump a gap of 1/4" or more on s test device ?

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
any chance plug wires are crossed ?? what is the history never worked or stopped suddenly ?

anybody worked on it recently ?

read Leroy'S on the 9.5hp carb MUST BE 100% clean
The high speed jet is located in the float bowl which is located in the bottom 1/2 of the carburetor. It is in the hole behind the hex head plug in the very bottom front of the carburetor. Takes a well fitting screwdriver to get this jet out without damage. This carburetor must be absolutely, positively, SQUEAKY CLEAN. And it is very easily clogged, so may need to be checked often if there is a possibility of dirty fuel. DO NOT jam wires, drills, or whatever through the orifice making it larger in your attempts to clean it. This jet is a precision part. The motor will never work right again if you do.

The carburetor float is cork, sealed with shellac, they require replacement if they become saturated. Shellac is dissolved by the alcohol found in ethanol gasoline. These carburetor floats are not available aftermarket, but come with the OE repair kits, part #0382048. Be sure to use the clip that connects the float arm to the new needle. These clips were not used on the old float system, and are beneficial to use because of the possibility of the motor being laid on it's side during transport, the float may become stuck. This clip pulls the float down when the float bowl is empty. Also the float COULD get reinstalled upside down, as the pivot arm is not centered. There is a small lip that protrudes off the brass pivot arm. This lip is actually a float stop and is designed to bump/stop against the edge of the brass inlet jet.
The BRP part # is 0382048, which includes the float. Available for $30.96 as of 5-2013. I am disappointed in this kit. It comes with, (like most) repair parts for both the early and late carbs but does not come with everything. On this carburetor, there is a 1/2" core plug on the outer part of the carb that is inline with 3 small holes in the carb throat. These holes had to be drilled through the access hole this core plug covers up. However INSIDE and under the core plug is a plastic filler plug #0312909 that is not included.

check coils for cracks condensers may be shot clean the points (minimum)

disconnect the kill button clips while testing (wires get all cracked and exposed some times)

Attachments

• 9.5hp-throttle-sync.jpg
    9.5hp-throttle-sync.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Harry B.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks you guys for the direction and tips.
Pulling on it and checking the spark it did finally run for about 30 seconds and died. There is spark jumping about 3/8.” It’s not the spark I’ve seen on some other motors but it does obviously run.
Still trying to decide whether to put in some new ignition parts and gap the points or pull the carb and soak it.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
did you inspect the filter screen under the fuel cover ??
if you can get the engine to run 30 sec. pull the fuel line off the carb to make certain the fuel pump is pumping fuel into the carb. to sustain it.

does the engine run if you pump the bulb after it does start.???
the carb MUST be 100% clean no need to delay this essential job.
do check the electricals from boot plug to condenser it is a good routine even if you have sparks . check the coils for cracks and burn marks

Attachments

• Ignition bugs.PNG
    Ignition bugs.PNG
    340.8 KB · Views: 4

Harry B.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm finally back at it. Cleaned the carb and it ran for a few seconds and then died.
Checked the compression and got just 45 on top and 35 on bottom.
Time to tie a rope on it and use it as an anchor?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Remove cylinder head and inspect.----Could be a blown head gasket.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
see pic. not a big job

Attachments

• gasket polishing cyl head.JPG
    gasket polishing cyl head.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 6

Harry B.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks. Going fishing tomorrow In my boat.
I'll pull some bolts very carefully and take a look at it.
Anybody know how hard it is to get that gasket?

Roberthill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just a suggestion, squirt some oil in cylinders , turn motor over without spark plugs in , let set a while , now recheck compression. This motor is a low compression motor , I think 60 to 75 lbs .