1963 ESKA Golden Jet 600, Motor model: 645-01

Hypobaric

Cadet
Hi Folks, There is some prior discussion on this motor but I still need help. I rebuilt the carburetor (Lauson Power Products model: 57 4D23), replaced the spark plug, (I am getting a spark with each pull of the cord.) , replaced the fuel line. (fuel is coming through) cleaned the fuel strainer, and replaced the lower unit lube. When I pull the starter cord the motor coughs a couple of times, but that is it. Any advice? Also, how do I adjust the the two fuel (idle adjustment, and ??) screws. Lastly, I hope this does not sound too lame; As far as I can tell there is no F-N-R on this motor? When I pull the starter cord, the prop rotates. Should it do that. This is my first attempt at restoring an old outboard. It is a bit addictive. I'd like to see it run! Thank you for any help that you can provide.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Check the points and yes the prop should turn. Spin 180 for reverse. Spark should be a pretty blue and cross a 1/4 gap. If not check points ( clean and re-set) Ohm test condenser's or replace. There is a fuel pump element on the back side of the carb probably needs replaced. It comes in the kit and its pinkish red color and the slit has to be at 2 o'clock. You will see when you take the carb off.

Hypobaric

Cadet
Thank you very much. I do have a nice blue spark. The fuel pump element sounds like a likely culprit. So, am I correct that there is no neutral. When the motor is running the prop is turning? Also, thank you for the eBay link.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thank you very much. I do have a nice blue spark. The fuel pump element sounds like a likely culprit. So, am I correct that there is no neutral. When the motor is running the prop is turning? Also, thank you for the eBay link.
Thats correct

Hypobaric

Cadet
Darn! I just saw a typo. For whatever it is worth. The correct motor model is 635-01. Sorry.

Hypobaric

Cadet
Hello again friends! It's been awhile, but I am finally back to this motor. I followed Brim-Buster's advice on the carb. I have cleaned everything and lubricated where indicated. Points are good and re-calibrated. Last night I had a good blue spark, at least part of the time. Today I was sure I would hear a vrroom. At least a cough, cough, cough. Nope! And now no spark at all. I am probably beating a dead horse. (Many would say, a "dead pig".) There is gasoline in the cylinder. Do I need a new condenser? For whatever it is worth; when I pull the starter cord, it sounds like there is compression. Thank you as always!

Hypobaric

Cadet
Hi Folks, There is some prior discussion on this motor but I still need help. I rebuilt the carburetor (Lauson Power Products model: 57 4D23), replaced the spark plug, (I am getting a spark with each pull of the cord.) , replaced the fuel line. (fuel is coming through) cleaned the fuel strainer, and replaced the lower unit lube. When I pull the starter cord the motor coughs a couple of times, but that is it. Any advice? Also, how do I adjust the the two fuel (idle adjustment, and ??) screws. Lastly, I hope this does not sound too lame; As far as I can tell there is no F-N-R on this motor? When I pull the starter cord, the prop rotates. Should it do that. This is my first attempt at restoring an old outboard. It is a bit addictive. I'd like to see it run! Thank you for any help that you can provide.
Oops! Here is troublesome ducking.

Attachments

• IMG_1763.jpeg
    IMG_1763.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1762.jpeg
    IMG_1762.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0