Starter options for 2000 5.0 GL?

Laneman25

Seaman
I think starter is bad, clicks but won't crank. Battery 12.5 volts, all cables cleaned, tried new ignition switch. Can I use the insides of a Chevy automotive starter and install in my sealed marine case? Price is $400 for a marine starter.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
First, troubleshoot what the issue is. most likely bad connection and or a bad slave solenoid.

most likely its just a bad connection.

NO, you cant use the insides of an automotive starter. I paid less than $200 for a polished stainless performance starter

I dont think I paid more than $60 for a standard marine starter (hint, dont buy it from volvo)

there are 4 GM marine starters. direct drive or PMGR, and straight across (for 153 tooth flywheel) vs staggered (for 168 tooth flywheel)

Laneman25

Seaman
First, troubleshoot what the issue is. most likely bad connection and or a bad slave solenoid.

most likely its just a bad connection.

NO, you cant use the insides of an automotive starter. I paid less than $200 for a polished stainless performance starter

I dont think I paid more than $60 for a standard marine starter (hint, dont buy it from volvo)

there are 4 GM marine starters. direct drive or PMGR, and straight across (for 153 tooth flywheel) vs staggered (for 168 tooth

Laneman25

Seaman
I opened the starter cover, it's full of rust by the brushes. Looks like it got submerged by previous owner. Guess I'll replace it.

matt167

Captain
DB electrical usually works. It’s all China stuff and it’s cheap but it does usually work fine. They have gotten very popular

If you can get the numbers off your starter, than Napa can get a rebuild for you

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Also there are 3 and 4 terminal solenoids, check yours to make sure you get the right starter….

Laneman25

Seaman
Thanks to all who replied. I also have a reputable rebuild shop that quoted 80 for a marine rebuild unless major parts are needed.

Laneman25

Seaman
I ordered the DB Electrical. On my boat the starter is not too hard to remove, so if it fails in a year I'll survive.

Laneman25

Seaman
I think starter is bad, clicks but won't crank. Battery 12.5 volts, all cables cleaned, tried new ignition switch. Can I use the insides of a Chevy automotive starter and install in my sealed marine case? Price is $400 for a marine starter.
I finally took it apart. Looks like it was submerged at one time. Amazing that it still worked. Commutator has chunks missing.

Attachments

• 20240512_095955.jpg
    20240512_095955.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
they are ignition protected but not water proof!
since I'm in salt water I do change them the minute they start to sound different.
I usually have a spare ARCO in the garage, I have had good luck with their starters and alternators.

Bondo

Staff member
I finally took it apart. Looks like it was submerged at one time. Amazing that it still worked. Commutator has chunks missing.
Ayuh,..... You got the last lap outa that one,......

Donald0039

Petty Officer 1st Class
The starter for my 2012 V8-300-C-A would spin but not engage and start the engine. Trying it several times and it finally engaged and started the engine. But cannot count on it. #3885317.

The Arco was $253. I found one from a Volvo Penta dealer for a little over $300. And of course a bunch of cheap Chinese ones on Amazon and eBay for less than $100.

I assume it's the solenoid or Bendix drive. I will get the old one rebuilt assuming its a Volvo Penta one.