Lower Unit Gear Oil Change while on lift

Ltmeat

Cadet
I keep our boat on our lift at the lake year round and would like to change the lower unit SX drive gear oil while it's on the lift. It's about 9 feet deep at the lift so I can't just stand in the water. Trying to figure out a good way to do it. Thought about getting one of those small kiddie pools to tie off under the outdrive in case I drop anything but outside of just floating with a life jacket or some noodles do yall have any other ideas for me to have some kind of "steady" platform per se?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would pull the boat out of the water and do all the annual maintenance (check alignment, gear oil change, bellow inspection, gimbal bearing inspection, u-joint inspection)

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I keep our boat on our lift at the lake year round and would like to change the lower unit SX drive gear oil while it's on the lift. It's about 9 feet deep at the lift so I can't just stand in the water. Trying to figure out a good way to do it. Thought about getting one of those small kiddie pools to tie off under the outdrive in case I drop anything but outside of just floating with a life jacket or some noodles do yall have any other ideas for me to have some kind of "steady" platform per se?
Ive used a paddle board. Would definitely have an extra plug and gaskets in case they go swimming....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I’d pull the boat & do the work on land. Either you will get gear oil in the water or drain plugs or both lol. I once “thought” of pulling an exhaust manifold with my boat in the water….thought some more….and pulled the boat!

Ltmeat

Cadet
Can you borrow a jon boat to float under the drive. It isn`t going to be easy but I guess it could be done.
I actually have a jon boat and thought of that but it would for sure be awkward for positioning and any water movement with passerby boats. It's a thought though.

Ltmeat

Cadet
I’d pull the boat & do the work on land. Either you will get gear oil in the water or drain plugs or both lol. I once “thought” of pulling an exhaust manifold with my boat in the water….thought some more….and pulled the boat!
The outdrive would not be close to the water as my lift gets it as high as 4 feet from water level... I would pull boat if it were easier for me to pull the boat out... our place is not close to a launch so I would have to take my trailer to a launch that is 20 minutes by road, then come back and take my boat 30 minutes by water and then trailer it back to my place to do the work... then reverse the process. Not something I can do without a helper obviously.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Better to do it all at once, in a place where you have everything you need. I am lucky I have a local ramp and can pull the boat by myself.

cyclops222

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am lucky as can be. I jump in the water & change Alpha 1 sterndrive props. Several times a summer. No losses yet. Be sure to have 2 new plugs & gaskets if needed.