1976 Starcraft Chieftain 18' OB - restomod

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Started cleaning the carbs today. Ugh! 🤮

But the motors have only been sitting 8 years! :LOL:

I'm following the manual step by step and it has me completely disassembling the carbs. I just got to the part where it says to remove the Welch plugs. Uhhh... nope. Those things are no longer available and have to be destroyed to be removed.

I'll just have to do what I can with carb cleaner and compressed air.

1.jpg

3.jpg

Gibbles

Commander
Started cleaning the carbs today. Ugh! 🤮

But the motors have only been sitting 8 years! :LOL:

I'm following the manual step by step and it has me completely disassembling the carbs. I just got to the part where it says to remove the Welch plugs. Uhhh... nope. Those things are no longer available and have to be destroyed to be removed.

I'll just have to do what I can with carb cleaner and compressed air.

View attachment 396699

View attachment 396700

Man I can smell that from here, PU!
o_O

Gibbles

Commander
Ever used the carb dip stuff they sell in a paint looking can at local auto parts stores?

Basic disassembly and dip, sit, and rinse!
I have used that to avoid taking out things like mixture screws.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Ever used the carb dip stuff they sell in a paint looking can at local auto parts stores?

Basic disassembly and dip, sit, and rinse!
I have used that to avoid taking out things like mixture screws.
Yes, I have some, but the manual specifically says not to use it. But, I got a couple spray cans of carb cleaner yesterday afternoon, so that should work.

Gibbles

Commander
Yes, I have some, but the manual specifically says not to use it. But, I got a couple spray cans of carb cleaner yesterday afternoon, so that should work.

With the dip stuff, really just be careful with some plastics and o-rings.

That said, i have dipped carbs with o-rings installed (mixture screws) and never had an issue.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
With the dip stuff, really just be careful with some plastics and o-rings.

That said, i have dipped carbs with o-rings installed (mixture screws) and never had an issue.
Yeah, I got one carb disassembled enough to be able to dip some parts and it worked great! That carb is now ready for reassembly. (y)

1.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Got the first carb cleaned today.

But, I ran into a major issue. I have two 70HP Mercury outboards to use as the twins for this project. One is a 1982 and the other is a 1983. Both are 3 cylinder 2-strokes.

I'd ordered replacement float bowl parts about 2 years ago. Today, I found that the new parts don't match the old parts even though the part numbers match.

I went to my local Mercury mechanic this afternoon and learned that the old versions were discontinued, will not work, and are NLA. He said that I should just reuse the old parts and keep my fingers crossed for now. But, if they fail, I'll just have to completely scrap the engine! 😬😫

Using these ancient engines is a problem. I'm gonna have to rethink this whole thing. :(

2.jpg

Last edited:

Gibbles

Commander
Got the first carb cleaned today.

But, I ran into a major issue. I have two 70HP Mercury outboards to use as the twins for this project. One is a 1982 and the other is a 1983. Both are 3 cylinder 2-strokes.

I'd ordered replacement float bowl parts about 2 years ago. Today, I found that the new parts don't match the old parts even though the part numbers match.

I went to my local Mercury mechanic this afternoon and learned that the old versions were discontinued, will not work, and are NLA. He said that I should just reuse the old parts and keep my fingers crossed for now. But, if they fail, I'll just have to completely scrap the engine! 😬😫

Using these ancient engines is a problem. I'm gonna have to rethink this whole thing. :(

View attachment 396757

Check Ebay for some old stock.
If nogo, check boat repair places to see if they happen to have a set.

A shop in town had a really good stock of impossible to find merc parts.
The old man started giving me some lip about clearing out his stock. :ROFLMAO:

Gibbles

Commander
Also, a tip with eBay, make sure you have the original part number.
easiest way to find the part.
Only buy ones that have pictures of the part you want.

And get obsessive about searching every day or three if you can't find the part.

Gibbles

Commander
Man, I still have a pretty good parts stock for my Chrysler outboard and my mercs.
Including a new old stock distributor cap and rotor, I got a great price for the set at the time. :LOL:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I can't see me spending much time scrounging around trying to find 40+ year old NOS parts. Not worth my time.

Maybe I'll just look around for a "newish" 150HP Merc and be done with it.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
And it begins... 😠

I went out to the garage to start cleaning the 2nd carb, bumped it during handling and the small plastic carb coupling assembly piece broke right off. 😒

So, I dug up the spare carb set from the other engine, found the part, removed it... and that one was already broken! Yup, 40+ year old plastic parts are fragile.

I was able to find the tiny little plastic precious gem online and ordered a brand new freshly manufactured replacement... for 40+ bucks! 😬

Who knows what other issues I'll find as I move along. Meanwhile, while I'm waiting for the new part to arrive, I'll clean the 2nd carb and replace the water pump impeller. 🤞

20240413_113942.jpg

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
That old 1970 motor blues is why I went to the 90s for my SS, man I love that Merc 115 inline 4 cyl and it turned 30 this year. The V6 motors have all sorts of issues compared to the 4 cyl.

I saw up there your said "nasty Johnson" gave me a good chuckle.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
That old 1970 motor blues is why I went to the 90s for my SS, man I love that Merc 115 inline 4 cyl and it turned 30 this year. The V6 motors have all sorts of issues compared to the 4 cyl.

I saw up there your said "nasty Johnson" gave me a good chuckle.
Yeah, I'm literally running out of time and money, so whatever I do has to work for real. 😬

The boy graduates HS next month, turns 18 in June and will leave home on July 4th. I'll lose cash and help when he goes. So, as they say, "Time is of the essence." ⌛

It's been 9 years since we got the Chief and it should have been done long ago. I was really bummed out about it last week and considered just selling the boat. :(

Since then, I've run through several scenarios and they all revolve around seriously cutting back on the project in an effort to get it done at all. The first option is to just go with a single engine, leaving the hull completely unpainted and going bare bones on the hull, including no upholstery. I was discussing it with my young neighbor buddy and he volunteered to paint the boat for me. As Bill Murray said... "So, I've got that going for me." :LOL:

Since I already have one of the 70 Mercs nearly ready to run, I'll put it on my test boat and run it through the ringer. If it works well, I'll probably just put it on the Chief when it's ready and forget the twins. Later, I could always install a 150HP single. Simpler and cheaper than twins.

After the engine is tested, we'll be focusing on making the hull watertight.

I've been looking at late 90s non-Optimax V6 Mercs in 150HP. I've read some good threads on the EFI 150 of that era; basically trouble free. :sneaky:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
So if you get chief up and running, is the aim to keep all three boats or?
Nope, once the 70 Merc is running right, I'll keep it on the test boat and then sell the Kingfisher. With any luck, the Merc on the test boat will go well and I'll sell the KF by the end of this month. 🤞

After that, we start working on the Chief.

As of now, I'm hot in search of a 150HP Merc to put on the test boat. After I get that, it'll go on the test boat and the 70 gets designated for the Chief. The other 70 will just become a parts motor as a backup instead of a twin.

Unless something magic happens! :ROFLMAO:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Remind us of what the test boat is.

And if you want to expand your search northward for a freshwater 150 my zip is 37355 and I need an excuse to head to Tampa to see family.

I have a couple three references here on the forum.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Remind us of what the test boat is.

And if you want to expand your search northward for a freshwater 150 my zip is 37355 and I need an excuse to head to Tampa to see family.

I have a couple three references here on the forum.
Ah yes, the test boat. I suppose I could ask the powers that be if it would be okay to post a thread about it here. 🤔

It's a 1997 Mirrocraft Dual Impact XL 1845. It's 18 feet long with an 89" beam, which is wider than my Chieftain.

We all really like it and are anxious to get it back on the water.

My little fleet. The test boat is in the center.

1.jpg

2.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

6.jpg