Boat firing then dies

Ziggyman134

Recruit
I bought a 1981 Barretta with a 470 mercruiser it only starts when I spray starting fluid in it then dies cleaned the carb out still doing same thing what do I do about fuel pump and fuel filter should I start by checking filter but I don’t hear flu pump kicking on sucking fuel bulge pump doesn’t turn on where can I located fuse panel in the boat

dubs283

Vice Admiral
470 from the factory has a mechanical fuel pump with filter in the pump bowl. Possible someone added/replaced with an electric fuel pump. Possible water separator as well, would be in line prior to fuel pump if oem

Majority of boat manufacturers installed fuse panel below/near the helm

Ziggyman134

Recruit
470 from the factory has a mechanical fuel pump with filter in the pump bowl. Possible someone added/replaced with an electric fuel pump. Possible water separator as well, would be in line prior to fuel pump if oem

Majority of boat manufacturers installed fuse panel below/near the helm
It looks like a stock fuel pump could it be clogged that’s y boat is not getting fuel

Dubed

Petty Officer 1st Class
It looks like a stock fuel pump could it be clogged that’s y boat is not getting fuel
Theres a small diameter "clear hose" that runs from the fuel pump to the carb. Make sure theres no fuel in it. If there is, the diaphram is ruptured, and fuel is running past it. If not, check the filter in the fuel pump, in the carb inlet, water separator (if theres one). Pickup in the tank could be bad, anti syphon valve, vent line and fuel lines should all be checked

Ziggyman134

Recruit
Theres a small diameter "clear hose" that runs from the fuel pump to the carb. Make sure theres no fuel in it. If there is, the diaphram is ruptured, and fuel is running past it. If not, check the filter in the fuel pump, in the carb inlet, water separator (if theres one). Pickup in the tank could be bad, anti syphon valve, vent line and fuel lines should all be checked
There’s no fuel coming through fuel line

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Quite possible there is a blockage somewhere. It's in your best interest to inspect the entire fuel system. The issue could be simple as not enough fuel in the tank or possibly multiple components have failed

There is a write up about troubleshooting the fuel system (among many other items) in the DIY sticky at the top of the forum page, highlighted in yellow

Unless you are familiar with the MCM 470 engine I would recommend first doing some research here on iboats and Google about it. A factory service manual will help greatly for future issues as well

ROY WILLIAMS

Petty Officer 1st Class
There’s no fuel coming through fuel line
well my Wellcraft 20 ft 470 MCM 1978 !!!!! all those repairs ...
the October did the fuel gasoline tank dropping gasoline ....CLEANING IT , the carb/fuel pressure and the gasoline 2 filters ... pump and the carb...
the take it off of the carb top off it ... the TB Throttle spray cleaning it ..then the MMO the cloth ....NO FUEL ... NO CORRODED ... THE GASOLINE 93 OCTANE .. THE IGNITION IS 4 DEG BTDC 700-800 RPM ...TODAYS !!!
so the gas tank is a water / gasoline ! ..
TANK TAKE IT OFF ALSO THE AIR PRESSURE THE HOSE OF THE AIR PRESSURE .... THE GAS TANK CAP OFF ...

kenny nunez

Captain
A good possibility that the fuel line may be cracked or the fuel suction tube in the tank could be plugged. Also just a bad fuel pump,
Just as an experiment try this.
Get a 6 gallon outboard tank with the primer bulb and then you can either rule out the tank and lines or the fuel pump.

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
have you dipped the fuel tank or recently filled the tank to ensure there is enough fuel in it..
i would run a external 10 liter tank ( outboard tank) directly to the fuel pump inlet before further diagnostics continue.