Easiest Conversion

Rranger

Chief Petty Officer
Ok have a line on a couple complete 4.3 setups. And I do look to find answers but again some differing answers on the motor mount questions. My boat is a Glassply so obviously 470 to 4.3 previous adapts have been done. Is there a measurement I can use to be sure my mounts are wide enough for the 4.3 to fit and are the stringers on each side in theory capable of attaching motor mounts for the 4.3? If I have to do a bunch of stringer modifications, I may as well install my pod.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Ok have a line on a couple complete 4.3 setups. And I do look to find answers but again some differing answers on the motor mount questions. My boat is a Glassply so obviously 470 to 4.3 previous adapts have been done. Is there a measurement I can use to be sure my mounts are wide enough for the 4.3 to fit and are the stringers on each side in theory capable of attaching motor mounts for the 4.3? If I have to do a bunch of stringer modifications, I may as well install my pod.
this page has links to install drawings of many merc products- any of the 4.3 will have the motor mount locations. The as long as existing stringers are wide enough glassing in mount blocks is no big deal. If they are too close widening them may push you towards the pod.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
knowing how some pods are built, I would add mounting blocks to your stringers.

Pmt133

Petty Officer 1st Class
The bare minimum stringer width needed for a 4.3 or 5.7 from merc is 24 inches if I remember right from my swap. Realistically 26 would be better as it's very tight at 24... I used every inch of it.

Rranger

Chief Petty Officer
The bare minimum stringer width needed for a 4.3 or 5.7 from merc is 24 inches if I remember right from my swap. Realistically 26 would be better as it's very tight at 24... I used every inch of it.
Appreciate that Pmt133: I will be measuring tomorrow.

Rranger

Chief Petty Officer
I might be dumping it anyways. I packaged the pod and the Glassply and I’m getting a lot of interest. Call it a fishing expedition.

Rranger

Chief Petty Officer
I inherited a 22’ Slickcraft 225 chev OMC so sold the Glassply. OMC runs strong but would like to get a donor Which will be a topic for another day. Motor is strong but would like to transition it to mercruiser if I can find a similar Mercruiser motor and key to prop tip setup.

Attachments

• IMG_0185.jpeg
    IMG_0185.jpeg
    116.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0175.jpeg
    IMG_0175.jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0176.jpeg
    IMG_0176.jpeg
    368.9 KB · Views: 9

dubs283

Vice Admiral
I inherited a 22’ Slickcraft 225 chev OMC............would like to transition it to mercruiser if I can find a similar Mercruiser motor and key to prop tip setup.

You'll need to install a new transom in the boat and cut the keyhole for a mercruiser transom assy. Might also need to refab the stringers/mount areas depending on engine choice

Plenty of info/help right here on iboats in the restoration forum

matt167

Captain
The OMC stringer transfers the load directly to the stringers. Mercruiser, Volvo and OMC cobra transfers to the transom. You may find you need to change the design structurally as well as close up the hole, but there’s also a good chance that your boat was available with a mercruiser so it may be okay as designed

Dubed

Petty Officer 1st Class
Jeez. Honestly, rebuild the 3.7 and call it a day

Scott06

Vice Admiral

Rranger

Chief Petty Officer