1974 Chieftain 25 "Adventurer" Restoration

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
i would put plotter dead center. then add rpm mph just offset from center on both sides. then the smaller gauges off side of the rpm and mph but below the chart plotter....

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
here is a rough edit of what i was thinkin. then your steering is where the flat is on the front.....

Attachments

• IMG_20231101_223346__012.jpg
    IMG_20231101_223346__012.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3

IslandExplorer

Petty Officer 1st Class
here is a rough edit of what i was thinkin. then your steering is where the flat is on the front.....
Yes, it will be against the wall but will likely be spaced out slightly bc the wall has an overhang at the top.

I'm planning on doing the steering like you're saying but even though I like the look of your layout idea more I think I might have to keep the gauges all together in the OG cluster panel at the bottom as-is to have enough room to have a lid (like a glove box sorta) that can be closed bc the plotter I have with tilt bracket needs a good bit of room and I think I'm going to put the original compass next to it. But still not sure.. A lot of things get decided as it goes.. Going to try to go for that layout if I can bc I definitely like the aesthetics of the two big gauges opposite like that!

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
or you could just build the plotter into the console. thats what i did. no swivel to get in the way. .... but its entirely up to you. :) looking great (engine) when are you installing back into place?

IslandExplorer

Petty Officer 1st Class
or you could just build the plotter into the console. thats what i did. no swivel to get in the way. .... but its entirely up to you. :) looking great (engine) when are you installing back into place?
I really want to just mount it flush but I use my plotter and sonar so much, closely maneuvering around rocks and barely submerged wrecks. I've found myself switching to the standing position a lot and tilting the plotter way up so think the tilt is a necessity. But it sure would look a whole lot cleaner to mount it like you did so I'm still tempted lol Going to test fit the plotter today and see. One thing that I like about the nav hatch is then I can use another crate section for the cover and not cut holes in it..

Hoping to drop engine in very soon, I have been spending time here and there cleaning the outdrive collar(?) pieces that bolt directly to the transom, need to bolt the inside and outside halves together and it'll be ready to accept the engine! Engine bay has been vacant forever it seems.IMG_20231026_151609.jpg

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
looks nice and clean. i think you should just flush mount it. (plotter)you can still see it at both angles. standing or sitting. cant wait to see the engine back in the baby..... its been forever.....

IslandExplorer

Petty Officer 1st Class
looks nice and clean. i think you should just flush mount it. (plotter)you can still see it at both angles. standing or sitting. cant wait to see the engine back in the baby..... its been forever.....
Thanks, me too! The console was partially made this weekend and I just couldn't stand to cut up the stenciled crate panel more than I already did so decided the plotter will just be mounted on the dash on its swivel just like the last boat. That's better for sharing the use of it with the copilot anyways. Hoping I can mount the morse controls on there smoothly.

IslandExplorer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hopefully I will be able to get this thing apart, greased, and reassembled so it can be mounted on the console. Has a two wire pigtail that I'm thinking is a starter lockout for when it's in gear.IMG_20231106_125100.jpg

IslandExplorer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Test ran the Mercruiser yesterday with it's newly painted oil pan and stuff. First time letting it run over 5 minutes or so. Ran it about 25 and kept feeling around the block and whatnot, no hot spots that I noticed anywhere. Used a piece of aluminum angle as a stethoscope to listen to the valve train for each cylinder and it sounds very smooth, no abnormal rapping, tapping, or ravens. lol Think she's ready to go back in the boat so as soon as I can get the drive collar thing bolted back in she's goin in!

IslandExplorer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Was able to repurpose the ragged edged scraps of the old console and turn it into a binnacle mount. Thinking this is red oak or teak or something. Definitely highly rot resistant to have survived the neglect.
IMG_20231106_174110.jpgIMG_20231106_175257.jpgIMG_20231106_175412.jpgIMG_20231106_181608.jpgIMG_20231106_181559.jpg
3rd coat of spar on the crate console
IMG_20231107_112341.jpg