Can you guess how much I paid for all this?

Johnyboats

Cadet
I know of a yard full of boats like this.-----Most get cut up for land fill.----And most of them look pretty good as far as cosmetics is concerned.----But UNSAFE to use in big open water !
Any advice on checking the hill other than visually

Johnyboats

Cadet
Judging from the pics, I could guess the boat sat outside in rain/ snow etc....chances are very high the stringers are soft and so is the transom. Not here to criticize, but you do need some serious inspecting to know how good/ bad the framework is. I have witnessed old boats come apart on the water while underway.....not a pretty site !!
Yessir will do. If you have any tips to really check the integrity let me know. Transom surprising looks great! And the boat was used all of last year. It even still registered until July 😂

A1957

Seaman
I got this for free, 454 v-drive, so I’m guessing (hoping) you got yours for free too.

FA30C1EB-3B0B-48EE-9B93-5E9DA3217D68.jpeg

matt167

Captain
With a fiberglass ‘project’ boat, and taking a chance type of deal.. parts value minus the dump fee is generally the value to put on such a project. Trailers worth $500 most likely. Motor may be worth $500. Your dump fee could be as high as $250 for something like that, in case the boat is too far gone to restore.. so it’s not the great deal that you probably think you got. Unless you can dump a boat for $100

airshot

Rear Admiral
Yessir will do. If you have any tips to really check the integrity let me know. Transom surprising looks great! And the boat was used all of last year. It even still registered until July 😂
Go inside and take a core sample of the inside of transom. If wood is wet, junk, if wood is dry you mught be ok. Tilt motor up at an angle, push/ pull up and down on the lower unit, should be no flex in the transom. Pull up floor area in the back, even cut a small hole thru the floor, check the wood stringers, solid or wet soft wood ?
Many new boat owners don' t check structural strength and then have serious issues on the water. I hope you wood structure is solid but as a boat owner for over 60 years, I can see issues with glass boats that have set out in the weather. Unfortunately, based on those pics, I am reasonably certain you have structure issues...I hope I am wrong, so test it out and prove me wrong, don't bet your life on looks.

Johnyboats

Cadet
Go inside and take a core sample of the inside of transom. If wood is wet, junk, if wood is dry you mught be ok. Tilt motor up at an angle, push/ pull up and down on the lower unit, should be no flex in the transom. Pull up floor area in the back, even cut a small hole thru the floor, check the wood stringers, solid or wet soft wood ?
Many new boat owners don' t check structural strength and then have serious issues on the water. I hope you wood structure is solid but as a boat owner for over 60 years, I can see issues with glass boats that have set out in the weather. Unfortunately, based on those pics, I am reasonably certain you have structure issues...I hope I am wrong, so test it out and prove me wrong, don't bet your life on looks.
Thanks for the help brother. If you want to get more involved with my restoration just start a conversation w me and I’ll message you periodically if I have any questions I can message you. If not totally cool I’ll just keep posting.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the help brother. If you want to get more involved with my restoration just start a conversation w me and I’ll message you periodically if I have any questions I can message you. If not totally cool I’ll just keep posting.

Even better, start a topic in the Restoration section and post about your progress. Lots of us here have restored our boats and you'll likely get a lot more help that way. Good luck!

A1957

Seaman
Even better, start a topic in the Restoration section and post about your progress. Lots of us here have restored our boats and you'll likely get a lot more help that way. Good luck!
That’s what I’m going to do with my boat. Full disclosure..it was given to me BECAUSE it needs stringers and floors. I’m going to do all of the work myself.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Good luck, hope it goes well for you...it never does but at least we can hope !! Keep us posted on your progress as this helps others that might consider such an job..