1987 Power Play XLT-185 - floors, stringers, and upholstery

Wildey

Petty Officer 1st Class
So nice to share the experience !
Also, not everyone has a cool 80-20 type extruded unit stand .... (bet it was surplus (grin) )

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Other gasket was delivered today, so I took pictures while my 12-year-old daughter put the even side together.
View attachment 363464

View attachment 363465
Awesome with your daughter. At a party last night ... Wife knew of a carburator, but didn't know what it was. Nobody else had even heard of it (seriously, hadn't heard the word). My kids knew it was "for measuring the gas". FTW.

todhunter

Canoeist
So nice to share the experience !
Also, not everyone has a cool 80-20 type extruded unit stand .... (bet it was surplus (grin) )
Thanks! I wish the stand was mine, but a friend built it and I'm just borrowing it. I told him he needed take me one when he accumulates enough drops to do so. If it had casters it would be complete.

todhunter

Canoeist
Awesome with your daughter. At a party last night ... Wife knew of a carburator, but didn't know what it was. Nobody else had even heard of it (seriously, hadn't heard the word). My kids knew it was "for measuring the gas". FTW.
Times, they are a-changing. At least they were on the right path!

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Nice! Love getting the kids involved.

Any good plans for the big sapele board by the garage door? lol

todhunter

Canoeist
Nice! Love getting the kids involved.

Any good plans for the big sapele board by the garage door? lol
@Mad Props , good eye, but no plans for it. It's just left over from all the sapele I bought for the restoration. Might be able to remake some trim pieces out of it if I break one on the boat.

todhunter

Canoeist
Late to post this, but it's been a helluva week. I got the engine dressed, changed the needle valve, seat, and idle air tubes in the QJ carb, and got it fired up and running on muffs Sunday around lunch, then we headed out to the river. The boat performed great. It was a huge weight off my shoulders to get it on the water Sunday to test out, as I'm on the west coast all this week then back to the SE on Friday for a long weekend at my brother's lake house.
20220626_142829.png

Wildey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nice !
You need to get that little engine assembly lady to show you how to make a short video for us.
Pretty boat !
Thanks

buxmj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Great pic Tod, so glad to hear you are back on the water so soon after the mishap. Happy 4th to you also! Looks so chill there.

todhunter

Canoeist
Another great weekend at my brother's lake house is in the books. I spent nearly the entire month of July in SoCal for work so coming back to The South's humidity, rain, and heat was a rude awakening, but it sure was nice to be back behind the wheel of the Power Play. The boat ran out great with the 19P prop and the QuadraJet mostly behaved.
20220730_182800.png

91marada

Recruit
Another great weekend at my brother's lake house is in the books. I spent nearly the entire month of July in SoCal for work so coming back to The South's humidity, rain, and heat was a rude awakening, but it sure was nice to be back behind the wheel of the Power Play. The boat ran out great with the 19P prop and the QuadraJet mostly behaved.
View attachment 367001
Cool picture.

91marada

Recruit
Awesome that even though you had engine problems you stuck with it and got to enjoy it that much this year. That's a great looking boat. I'm still planning out my resto.

todhunter

Canoeist
Well, this past Sunday we took the Power Play out for one last rip, then Sunday afternoon I winterized and put it away for the long winter nap. I have to say, as first-timers we really enjoyed the boat this season and consider it a success. It was not without issues - from running the boat up on the trailer and gouging the gelcoat to blowing the engine and having to rebuild the top end. But, we worked through the issues, learned a lot, and overcame.

Some winter (or early spring) projects I'm planning are to finish up the gelcoat repairs on the bow where I gouged it while power loading the boat onto the trailer. I'd like to get the color matched and buff everything out so it's not so obvious. I also want to get the Keel Shield installed - I bought it earlier this year but just never got around to putting it on. One of the spots we like to hang at on the river is a beach, so the Keel Shield is a must. I originally planned to install the Holley Sniper this winter, but have decided to sell that off (to fund race car parts). After the last carb rebuild, the boat has been behaving very well. I'd like to refresh my trailer eventually, but honestly that's probably still a few years out.