RWD Tow Vehicle Launch Issues?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Also have to remember that bavk in the 60-70's most ramps were not finnished concrete or grated steel like they are now. When ramps were gravel I also had a 61 Comet 6 cylinder that hauled my 15' lyman up and down a ramp with no issues...then in late 70 and 80's they started using concrete and that awfull grated steel. Add some algea and moss to that and you have an ice rink. I never saw a paved boat ramp until well into the 70's, so traction was never a big issue with the old gravel ramps. Was at the local state ramp just a few weeks back and actually slid down the ramp in my high traction boots, trying to winch my boat. The moss on that smooth concrete made for a very slick ramp, damn glad I had my 4 wd Jeep !!!
I'll take concrete or steel ramps any day.

In my fresh water area the water level rarely changes. So, the only slime is where the ramp is constantly under water.

Since I don't launch submarines my rear tires are ALWAYS on dry ground.

The only boat that requires me to get my feet wet is my jetski. I DO have to back that in further since its only 10' long, but the tires still are clean pavement. But then again, it's not a bother since I'm wet already.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
The limited slip on the Tacomas works great, it makes a huge difference,I doubt you’ll have any problems. Put some weight in the back of your truck but be sure not to exceed the GVWR. Remember that the tongue weight is part of the GVWR.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I also only boat in fresh water along the shores of Lake Erie in NW Ohio, with algea and moss slime our ramps are very slick, almost like being on ice. Unfortunately our ramps are not as steep as they need to be, so backing in deeper is required unless you have a 24' or longer boat.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
At my ramp I use in south lake tahoe, the tires of the trailer fall off the edge of the ramp a bit. If I didn't have my F-150 with 4WD and a electronic locking rear end, I would not be getting my boat out. My boat is 26' and combined weight of boat and trailer is around 6500#

I will never not have a 4WD truck for many reasons.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Most Single Axle trailers that fall off the edge of the ramp, need a complete rebuild, or more often, need to be replaced as the Brute Force method of yanking them out, destroys them them. A Tandem or Triple Axle, may suffer less trauma, unless all the Axles go past the end of the ramp.
I always inspect a Ramp I haven't used, just for that condition. I rarely back the trailer wheels in more than 13 ft from the shoreline.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Most Single Axle trailers that fall off the edge of the ramp, need a complete rebuild, or more often, need to be replaced as the Brute Force method of yanking them out, destroys them them. A Tandem or Triple Axle, may suffer less trauma, unless all the Axles go past the end of the ramp.
I always inspect a Ramp I haven't used, just for that condition. I rarely back the trailer wheels in more than 13 ft from the shoreline.
On my ramp, they both fall off. Fortunately, not all the way thay the frame hits the dropoff.

harringtondav

Commander
At my ramp I use in south lake tahoe, the tires of the trailer fall off the edge of the ramp a bit.
We've boated on the upper Mississippi for 26 yrs. Plenty of concrete grooved ramps. Slime isn't the problem. Erosion at the foot of the ramps occurs causing a drop off, and is a big problem in low water. I've watched two rigs stuck. One tore the axle off one leaf spring pulling out. When things are iffy I wait for a larger rig than mine to get through it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
We've boated on the upper Mississippi for 26 yrs. Plenty of concrete grooved ramps. Slime isn't the problem. Erosion at the foot of the ramps occurs causing a drop off, and is a big problem in low water. I've watched two rigs stuck. One tore the axle off one leaf spring pulling out. When things are iffy I wait for a larger rig than mine to get through it.
I have a Torsion axle trailer and as long as I use 4WD I am fine.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Torsion or Spring Axle makes no difference if the axle shaft drops close to or lower than the underside of the ramp. Trailer would need to be lifted Vertically before it could move horizontally. Of course some will just just back up a bit more and take a run at it. I have witnessed that a few times and the trailer is usually damaged, or destroyed.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Torsion or Spring Axle makes no difference if the axle shaft drops close to or lower than the underside of the ramp. Trailer would need to be lifted Vertically before it could move horizontally. Of course some will just just back up a bit more and take a run at it. I have witnessed that a few times and the trailer is usually damaged, or destroyed.
Like I said for about the fourth time now...I make it out fine.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Good for you, cause a lot of people don't. Maybe they could also use a Horseshoe somewhere for luck

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Good for you, cause a lot of people don't. Maybe they could also use a Horseshoe somewhere for luck
Fortunately for me I have a brain and don't put in at launch ramps that would damage my trailer.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
This maneuver requires a copilot who knows what they're doing:
Copilot drives the boat on the trailer and leaves the motor/engine running. Once the winch is tight the copilot gets back to the helm, trims down as far as safe and waits for the tow driver to start moving. Copilot gives meaningful FWD thrust while simultaneously trimming up. The extra boost helps the RWD vehicle get some speed and hopefully above the slime. This works. I've been both copilot and trailer driver. ...but it takes experienced wheel men on both ends.
Sounds like unnecessary power loading to me.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Ya, that wouldn't fly around here...
Actually, I did see that happen once.The guy was driving the car and the wife was driving the boat.

Unfortunately, the outdrive wasn't up high enough and she kept the throttle on until they were off the ramp and in the parking lot.

I was going to offer to help because I knew where he could get a new prop cheap, but I decided to keep my mouth shut.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Actually, I did see that happen once.The guy was driving the car and the wife was driving the boat.

Unfortunately, the outdrive wasn't up high enough and she kept the throttle on until they were off the ramp and in the parking lot.

I was going to offer to help because I knew where he could get a new prop cheap, but I decided to keep my mouth shut.
That's terrible!
If she was on the throttle all the way up the ramp and into the parking lot, there might have been more damage than just a prop, as you well know. The engine could have overheated.

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That's terrible!
If she was on the throttle all the way up the ramp and into the parking lot, there might have been more damage than just a prop, as you well know. The engine could have overheated.
Or shrapnel from the prop breaking up hitting innocent by standers.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Of all the catastrophes I've seen over the years, that was probably the least cluster.

Ever see a guy put a 20' inboard Cuddy on a rusty single axle 12' trailer? Now I always have a camera with me.

harringtondav

Commander

My salty boating pal taught me the maneuver. His Toyota AWD Highlander 6 cyl doesn't have the stones to get his 202 Captiva started up the marina's steep ramp. It just grunts like the park brake is on.
So he went through the process with his wife who took the helm. Same story as yours. She got the power up right, but got flustered and forgot to trim up, or turn the boat off.
The boat engine roaring caused him to stop. The Highlander crept back enough to turn the drive and tear the skeg off of his Alpha II. I know his wife well and couldn't believe he tried this with her, but I kept my mouth shut. He saved me the trouble of the comment: "It's on me. I shoulda knowed better".