Humility

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class
My question is, where was the picture taken from that apparently shows the Milky Way galaxy in the background?

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Just look out the window of an airplane over the south-west on a clear day, and go from there. We are tiny specs, but we live in our own little heads (and think about our tiny efforts on our tiny boats). Interesting (maddening?) to think about - fun dockside topic. Can't wait to get to the boat...

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Check out the James Webb launched in December. Replacing the Hubble .
Yup, that's where the first image (on the left) in the pic above came from.

I was a NASA Space Systems engineer for 20+ years. A friend of mine was a manager on the Hubble Project. I also worked in DoD and commercial programs and flew satellites while in the USAF.

I never tire of space stuff. There was a launch from Cape Canaveral less than an hour ago this morning, which would have been visible from my front porch, but I slept through it. :rolleyes:
1.jpg

My favorite space job was as a Senior Mission Controller on the Galileo Deep Space Probe. I would have done that job for free, had I been able. https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/missions/galileo

Looking at things from that larger, universal view, really makes human pettiness seem ridiculous by comparison. 😏

MRS

Commander

I was a NASA Space Systems engineer for 20+ years. A friend of mine was a manager on the Hubble Project. I also worked in DoD and commercial programs and flew satellites while in the USAF.

I never tire of space stuff. There was a launch from Cape Canaveral less than an hour ago this morning, which would have been visible from my front porch, but I slept through it. :rolleyes:
View attachment 367249

My favorite space job was as a Senior Mission Controller on the Galileo Deep Space Probe. I would have done that job for free, had I been able. https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/missions/galileo

Looking at things from that larger, universal view, really makes human pettiness seem ridiculous by comparison. 😏
BWR, yes I love that stuff I did get to watch Webb being built it was unreal and huge! If folks are not involved in these things they cannot under stand what they do and how they work not there fault. I did work at the base on complex 40 and 41 for a few years was the best job I never thought I would ever have.Plus I did get to see the 100in. telescope at Mt. Wilson and they still have the stool that DR. Hubble would sit on to use the telescope. That last launch was one of ours I did not get to go see live but watched I on line.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
BWR, yes I love that stuff I did get to watch Webb being built it was unreal and huge! If folks are not involved in these things they cannot under stand what they do and how they work not there fault. I did work at the base on complex 40 and 41 for a few years was the best job I never thought I would ever have.Plus I did get to see the 100in. telescope at Mt. Wilson and they still have the stool that DR. Hubble would sit on to use the telescope. That last launch was one of ours I did not get to go see live but watched I on line.
Cool stuff! (y) :cool:

southkogs

Staff member
@BWR1953 I'm up for stories if you've got 'em:

Been a fan of the space programs for years, and get a kick out of seeing the new stuff. I've had the chance to meet a lot of amazing people; Jim Lovell, Hoot Gibson & his wife Rea Seddon, Jim McDivitt and others ...

I knew you were a NASA guy, but I didn't know you were a mission control guy. Very cool.

aspeck

Staff member
slept through it. :rolleyes:
Way cool! Enjoy hearing stories myself. My youngest daughter is starting her junior year of college as a chem major. She doesn't want to teach, she wants research and has been looking hard at opportunities within NASA. She says after grad school that is where she wants to head!

Reactions: MRS

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
And I thought I was the center of the universe. Ugh. Ok-ok, in reality we are truly a speck in the sandbox.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

View attachment 367249

I saw this launch the other day and recorded it . I think it was around 6:30 that morning . Even from Clay Co where I was working it was a good view ..

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
@BWR1953 I'm up for stories if you've got 'em:

Been a fan of the space programs for years, and get a kick out of seeing the new stuff. I've had the chance to meet a lot of amazing people; Jim Lovell, Hoot Gibson & his wife Rea Seddon, Jim McDivitt and others ...

I knew you were a NASA guy, but I didn't know you were a mission control guy. Very cool.
I wish that I could share some of the "exciting" stories... but those happened while I was in the USAF and are still classified even now. 🤪

Some of us wear our “Speck” proudly!:ROFLMAO:
Bwaaahaahaa! :ROFLMAO:

I saw this launch the other day and recorded it . I think it was around 6:30 that morning . Even from Clay Co where I was working it was a good view ..
Yeah, I hate when I miss seeing the launches. I hope to take my family over to the Cape and catch one close up in the not too distant future.

I've never been to Cape Canaveral (or Kennedy back in the day). I worked at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory and Goddard Space Flight Center. I was invited to attend the launches of the spacecraft that I worked on, but as usual, I was needed on the job during the launch or I'd already moved on to the next project at the time of a launch. Never got to see one go. Frustrating. 😏

Love that space stuff! :cool:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Ha ha ha ha! :ROFLMAO:

Well, this thread is supposed to be about being humble... but I'll relate one little story. 😏

I was stationed in a "host country" and by regulation we were supposed to travel in uniform while going to and from the host country. Except for "us" guys. :p

After a year or so of being on station, I headed home for a few weeks of leave. On this trip, I took a military plane instead of a commercial flight.

At one point along the way, we stopped to refuel and when I went to re-board the flight, I was standing there in line wearing my jeans and regular shirt.

When I passed my ID to the inspecting Master Sergeant, he looked at me and said "Where's your uniform?" So, I handed him my orders which said that I was required to wear civilian clothing while traveling. He read that and said "What makes you so special?" I leaned close to him and in a conspiratorial whisper said... "I'm a spy!" o_O

He looked shocked, then his mouth dropped open and he stood there with a stunned look on his face while I casually walked away and boarded the plane. ;)

Priceless! :cool: