New Battery, no more power to anything...73 40hp evinrude

1506cmo18

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Had an old battery in the boat before and it would activate the starter but not have enough juice start the motor. So I went out and purchased a new battery and put it in the boat today. Push the electric choke down (it worked) then turned the key and it worked for a second then everything died! What could of went wrong? Starter relay cause that?
I also chipped my prop today and would like to get some information on pitches and which one to go with.
I can still manually start the motor by pulling it but there must be a electric problem somewheres. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cmo

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: New Battery, no more power to anything...73 40hp evinrude

Check to make sure your connections are clean as a whistle and look for a fuse holder coming off the battery, check it.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

There is a 20 amp fuse at the starter inline. Also, depending on the boat, there may be a fuse behind the key inline. Will likely be a simple fix.

Regarding the prop, what is your current WOT? You want your prop to maximize the performance of your boat while still maintaining your proper WOT RPM.

If your current prop was over revving the engine, you need to increase the pitch of the prop. Increasing the pitch by 1" will roughly decrease the WOT RPMs by about 200. The opposite is true for decreasing the pitch, it will increase your WOT RPMS by about 200.

1506cmo18

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, I never looked for any fuses. Any one have any idea of what fuse they would be so I can buy them before I go back to the camp? The ignition works because I can still pull start the motor, but nothing at the motor as electrical power.

About the prop, I have know clue as to which prop I have now. The motor does sound like its going faster then we actually are if that make any sense? Iwould like to get something to give me more torque

Thks Chris

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer

I believe they are a 20amp long glass fuse....buy a little pack of them and keep as spares...

Hope thats all it is and your on the water soon

Al

1506cmo18

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It does sound like a fuse because when i first hooked the new battery up the electric choke would work then it turned over for a half a second then nothing. Now I need to find these fuses...thanks guy!

Still need help on a new prop...or do guys just buy them and try them?

Dabbler_E

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have had that problem intermittently, (electric choke pops, starter cranks, then nothing and turning/pushing the key again does nothing) so there's got to be something other than a fuse that can cause it. It generally self corrects (don't ask me why) if I disconnect and then reconnect the battery.

1506cmo18

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have had that problem intermittently, (electric choke pops, starter cranks, then nothing and turning/pushing the key again does nothing) so there's got to be something other than a fuse that can cause it. It generally self corrects (don't ask me why) if I disconnect and then reconnect the battery.

My guess is bad connection somewhere's. I'm going to look all over the motor this weekend.

How can you figure out what size prop you have?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

If it is over revving, you may have a spun hub, but if you are replacing the prop anyways, you will solve that problem. Im assuming you do not have a tach on the boat? You will want the WOT (wide open throttle) RPM to be about 4800-5000. Any less and you are lugging the motor. If you look at the BRP website you can see what props came stock on the motor,but it all depends on what boat the motor is on. Have you inspected the prop yet for a stamp?

Have you pulled the fuse at the starter yet like I mentioned? It will be in a rubber grommet that twists together to water proof it. Pull it apart and a short stubby glass 20 amp fuse will be inside.

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer

My guess is bad connection somewhere's. I'm going to look all over the motor this weekend.

How can you figure out what size prop you have?

look on the barrel of the prop in between the blades sometimes its stamped there or its sometimes on the back of the prop on the hub on the inside....or even the front behind the prop nut....if no marking bring to a marina or shop and they can guage it for you....

clean every cable...from battery to starter...+ and - ones..make sure your ground is good also....I used a scotchbrite pad to clean cable ends and works good....

Al

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Look at the prop you have now for the numbers. They are on the barrel of the prop or behind the prop nut. 13-1/4 x 15 for example means 13-1/4 inches in diameter and 15 inches of pitch.