1987 Johnson 110hp VRO Rebuild/Bypass

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class
Real quick, got a friend who just bought a boat. He was told he was buying a 1993 Johnson 112 spl on it. To bad they didn't make the 112 until 1994. Anyway, I found it to be an 87 110hp. Runs good reguardless but the VRO pump leaks gas horribly.

First question, can the VRO pump be rebuilt? If so where in the world can you find a kit?

Next, this motor's VRO is pulse driven by crankcase pressure??? So if I can get it to stop leaking fuel, can I just take the oil line off and pre mix with no issues????

There is no place in this motor to bolt a regular fuel pump to the block.

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1987 Johnson 110hp VRO Rebuild/Bypass

Nobody knows???

Sorry for the repeat but I am trying to figure out what has to be done before the weekend.....

It is probably to late already though:mad:

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Bill Kelly has a lot of information on the system, rebuild and parts on his website. http://www.maxrules.com/fixomcvro.html

If you want to work on it this weekend, you might want to convert the existing pump to premix, which takes a few minutes and costs nothing.

Then, if the pump is still having problems, you could rebuild the gasoline side with repair kits. The oil side and electronics are not rebuildable.

To convert it, you need to plug the oil line airtight near the pump, disconnect both sets of wires (oil tank and pump have separate harnesses) and make sure the 50:1 premix is reaching the pump.

The most common problems in the sytems are air leaks, so work to be sure that there are none.

There are two kinds of conventional lift pumps; those that mount directly on the motor for a pulse and those that have a third nipple for a pulse hose. If you don't have the mounting base for the kind that connect to the engine, you can use the pulse line for the VRO on the one with the third nipple.

There is good basic information on the VRO here: http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/VRO.html

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class

So, what motors can I get one of these pumps from that will use the pulse hose????