Trim/Trim Tab position for holeshot

shopboy

Seaman Apprentice
79 Carver Montego 23' Mercruier 228/ I drive

This is my first i/o and first experience with Bennett trim tabs.

What is the best position of the outdrive and tabs to achieve quickest planing?

I have been out twice in the boat and experimented with the drive position and tabs

I think from what I have read, it is best to start with the drive all the way in and tabs all the way down. then adjust for best attitude and speed. Is this correct?

how do I avoid the "fighting" i have read about between tabs and outdrive trim?

thanks for the help

ovrrdrive

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trim/Trim Tab position for holeshot

For the absolute quickest planing, outdrive all the way in and tabs all the way down. Then as soon as the boat starts laying down I bring the tabs up first to where ever I want to run deoending on the conditions, then start bringing up the motor.

Most of the time though I don't need the end all quick plane so I give it about 3/4 tab with the motor all the way in and start bringing both up as soon as the boat starts to level out. In shallow water though I give it everything it has.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Drive tucked in, tabs fully extended. There is really no "fight" as the angle of the prop thrust is virtually level with the water surface, while the upward pressure of the tabs lifts the stern and brings the bow down.

Once she's over the hump, fully retract the tabs, then trim out for speed.

shopboy

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks so much guys. Really appreciate the advice

I've put so much work into her. Tough to think about throttle, trim, and tabs at the same time, Never driven anything this size before. Hopefully the butterflies will disappear.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Some conditions you may want "fight" so just play. Agree with others, 1/2 to 3/4 to Full tab depending on results, drive all the way in. Start playing with both immediately as you will pop up pretty dern quick. What's a really fun 'speriment is to put the tabs all the way up (drive in/down) and bump the throttle 100 RPM at a time from idle and see how slow she'll plane. Try again with full down tab, will blow your mind . . . ;)

The only disagreement I have with the above is that if you can run full speed and full trim up, with full tab up also then you can probably move some weight aft and may pick up 1 or 2 MPH. I like mine setup so that with full up trim, WOT and no tab she just starts to porpoise, then control that with the tabs. Usually fastest combo, so by default most efficient too.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Try a 35 Express dual station with triple 300 Verados...

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

phhht thas easy..... pilot on upper station steers and works tabs and throttle man on lower station works throttle and trim..... :cool:

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

That works...considering there is another "pilot" on board...

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

dual stations ?..are we offshore racing ? ...lolol

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That's easy, if you can't get on plane without burying the throttles, you need more engine or another driver ... :p

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Ah...that's easy. Engage auto tab control and push the throttles.

36 ft. Express,Triple V8 Yamaha, 350 HP. 20, 105 lbs. - 53 mph @ 1/2 mpg

360-18.jpg

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

hey dingbat, how come I only see two levers? How does that work? center engine controlled by shifters/throttles for the other two?

QC

Supreme Mariner

I was wondering same ^^^^^

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Verados are the same way, as are Optis that run off the DTS system. Same with Zuke's and 'Rudes with ICON...4 Engines, 2 levers...Geez...

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

ok, so they're all the same BUT hows it work? center engine(s) stay in neutral until both outers are in same gear? say right engine is full throttle forward and left is 1/4 reverse, what would center be doing... then left is gradually pushed throught neutral to full throttle forward.... what does center do and when?

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Smoke,
It's called "shadow" mode. Typically (and it's set as factory default), the center motor follows the starboard motor. Throttle up, and the center runs right along with starboard. Now, when shifting gears, if port and starboard are in opposite gear, center stays in neutral. It's all done through communication between the ECM at the helm and the ECM on the motors.

And that little scenario you pointed out about "starboard full-throttle, port 1/4 reverse"? The systems don't let you do that...
waggingfingersmiley-1.gif

BTW, you can set the center motor to shadow port if you want...

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

ah I see... thanks for explaining..... I pretty much suspected that it worked something like that but I don't get to play with toys that new (my newest is an 89) It is actually a bit more simple than I imagined... very cool.... maybe in 20 years or so I'll have something with some drive by wire funtionality
I figured that there might be some sort of failsafe to limit throttle when in opposite gears...

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Smoke,
What's even slicker, on the Merc DTS binnacle, there is a button labeled "Single Lever". Press that, and you can throttle all 3 motors with the port lever...