need help on 1958 gale outboard

I bought this motor from a friend it was his grandfathers it hasn't been run in years it fired right up. I've taken it out a few times and it runs ok but it just won't keep a steady pull i've tried adjusting the carb and doesn't want to pick up like its supposed to any help on this would help
thanks

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: need help on 1958 gale outboard

Gale was a devision of OMC.A model number will help.By 58 the motors shared some parts with the E/J motors.
Usually when a motor has sat for years the fuel system will need to be gone through.Also the coils are a weak point.Check them; if discolored or cracked replace them.They should be available at iboats.Under similar E/J applicatiopns.

Ok i think i found the problem its not running steady on the bottom cylinder so its basically running on the top cylinder guess a rebuild is in order has good spark just doesn't fully run on bottom

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Time for a tune-up...coils/points/condensors/plug wires.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Especially the coils. You can almost bet the farm that they are cracked. New ones are avilable right here at iboats.

already checked them look like brand new made sure points were gapped at .020 and had good hot spark just won't run on bottom cyl. I did check compression last night and have 100 psi on each cyl. friend says he believes may have a broken reed he knows more about these 2 strokes than i do

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

So somebody has already replaced the coils and it didn't fix it huh? OK, back to basics. You say it has spark on both cylinders. Does that mean it will jump a 1/4" gap?

Broken reed is a possibility, but I gotta tell you it would be very rare. Some foreign object stuck in a reed would be more likely.

No air filter. Hardly any dust out on the lake. But it IS supposed to have a silencer where an air filter would normally be found. Looks like a couple of goat horns

yeah it has a silencer i just got the owners manual today. it does seem like the spark is weaker on the bottom than the top if i pull the bottom plug wire it keeps running but rougher if i pull the top it only runs for a second before it dies so it is running on that cyl but after running the plug on the bottom is wet with oil. it will also start on the bottom cyl only but it runs for just a second and dies it will run all day long on the top

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Can we assume the fuel pump is mounted on the upper cylinder where it is supposed to be? If so, that isn't the problem I have in mind.

You need to evaluate the overall condition of the powerhead. Good and equal compression on both cylinders? No slop in the crankshaft bearings? Yes, the reeds? Something is causing that lower cylinder to not have any power even though it is firing. Carburetor won't do that. For righ now, I am leaning toward a compression problem.

has 101 psi on bottom and 99 on top for compression that was the first thing i checked after checking for fire i really didn't want to have to tear into the engine i believe i've got it narrowe down to either the reed or the coil is week next thing is to put an inline tester on the bottom plug wire to see exactly what i've got
i do appreciate ya'll this is the first outboard i've owned and i'm learning as i go
thanks alot

:confused:ok i've gotten the parts for a complete tune up havent put them on yet i figure while at it i'll rebuild the carb just for good measure i cannot find the carb rebuild kit the 1958 10 15 and 18 hp evinrude looks the same (found here on i boats) will one of these work or do i have to do something different
thanks guys

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The carburetors are all related. gaskets and stuff are all alike.

ok i have done complete tune up new coils,wires,points,condensors and e3plugs took the boat out was running great then it would bog down and surge when it was done doing that it would run great again so i got home and pulled the carb first thing i noticed was the needle valve was sticking so i blew the whole carb out with carb cleaner made sure the needle valve was not sticking any more put it back together and went back out now its doing the same thing only without the running great part
i can find the carb kit but not the fuel pump kit i have compression and spark so now i'm looking at the fuel delivery does anyone know why it would run worse after the carb cleaning don't make sense to me