18 ft.alumacraft model queen merry

kevin18

Recruit
I would like some information on this boat I.E. Year manufactured? Maybe some factory photos. Or some info as to where to get this type of info? Its quite a classic. I have just begun restoring this boat and looking foward to see it in the water.

super cs

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 18 ft.alumacraft model queen merry

I was just looking this up last night as I plan to tackle my QM this spring. What configuration is yours Kevin? They were offered in I/O or outboard. Mine is an I/O that I plan to put a Gil bracket on. I'll have more room in the cockpit and a full height transom.

They first show up in the catalogues in 1958, I/O first offered in 1963 (I don't have the 1962 catalogue)

Length: 18'
Width amidship: 73"
Width at transom: 68"
Depth forward: 36" (changes to 38" in 1963)
Depth amidships: 31"
Weight: 560 (outboard version - increases to 780 in 1963 - standard outboard, 865 in 1966 - deluxe outboard)

Prices:

1959 $1289

Deluxe Outboard: $1995
110 ho Mercruiser: 3795
with power tilt: 3850
120 hp OMC with power tilt: 3999
120 hp Mercruiser with power tilt: 3995

kevin18

Recruit

im at fault by calling my boat a queen merry it should be a queen merrie. I originally thought as it sat for years in a field that it was a io but after further inspection i figure it was a outboard made into an io. Fortunately it was not hacked up to bad. it had a volvo penta drive but im planning on installing a more modern merc drive. i apreciate the input and figured it was in the 60s. the hull is sound and thats what counts i guess. its going to be quite the project but once done as you know will be a head turner.

dougfur

Cadet

I just started using a 1954 18' Queen Merrie and I just love it. I had to install a complete white oak transom inside and out and hang a 50hp Yamaha 4 stroke on it and is it sweet, fast enough for me, quite seaworthy even on Lake Superior and good mileage. Now the tough part, someone tossed the original seating arrangement away and replaced them with the more modern 4 person type which can fold down and be used for sunbathing.

I have a brocure from 1960 which shows front seats with a tray/glovebox behind them.This tray appears to be aluminum, is this true? Also, is the framework for the cushions plywood as I suspect or aluminum also? ANYONE?

The brocure also suggests jump seats were available, maybe they folded down from under this tray/glovebox arrangement? Anybody know? Anybody have them for sale?

rayguy

Recruit

I've got a '63 QM which I'm trying to restore. It does have the aluminum tray/glove boxes you mentioned. The cushion bases are plywood. Unfortunately, this one was left out in the open uncovered and all of the wood is shot. I've just gutted the inside and ready to refloor once I figure out how to do it. I'm a novice at this.

rallygabe

Cadet

I know this is always the mystery question, but if you guys wouldn'tmind sharing what you paid for yours I would love to know. I am trying to get a feel for what these are worth? Can't find any values for these rare old beasts. Please PM/email if you don't mind sharing. (gabe@rallybimmer DOTcom)
thanks!

dougfur

Cadet

I just started using a 1954 18' Queen Merrie and I just love it. I had to install a complete white oak transom inside and out and hang a 50hp Yamaha 4 stroke on it and is it sweet, fast enough for me, quite seaworthy even on Lake Superior and good mileage. Now the tough part, someone tossed the original seating arrangement away and replaced them with the more modern 4 person type which can fold down and be used for sunbathing.

I have a brocure from 1960 which shows front seats with a tray/glovebox behind them.This tray appears to be aluminum, is this true? Also, is the framework for the cushions plywood as I suspect or aluminum also? ANYONE?

The brocure also suggests jump seats were available, maybe they folded down from under this tray/glovebox arrangement? Anybody know? Anybody have them for sale?[/QUOTE

dougfur

Cadet

OK, out of all you nobody knows anything about these jump seats, come on. I don't expect a photo, just a brief description. Did they attach to the rear of these plywood cusion bases? Were they hinged and folded up? Were they attached to the hull?

jbing81

Chief Petty Officer

What is a safe recomendition for HP on the back of one of these?

Wetteland

Cadet

You can go up to a 90 hp and that is for a 1959 18 foot queen marry. that thing will get up and go. good luck.

jbing81

Chief Petty Officer

Did these QM's come with twins as an option? Mine has 2 ignitions, 2 chokes and 2 over heat indicators. The panel seems to be original.

redfury

Commander

Got a friend that is picking up an 18ft Queen Merrie, but it has no interior at all, anyone have interior shots so we can outfit the boat back to original?