12' 1960s AeroCraft restoration

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: 12' 1960s AeroCraft restoration

They have pieces of diamond plate aluminum in that size at Lowes but it's pricey as all heck. Like $40+ for a piece.

EZ I came to the same conclusion myself today after pricing some. I guess stepping on the I beam will have to do:) I'm going to paint it will a gunship gray rustoleum textured spray that Roslynn picked out last night.

The primer took very well and I will be painting it tonight. Has anyone else noticed that the simple task of resizing photos now takes 12-16 hours on phobucket?

EZ you work in IT/web design right? We should start an aluminum boats only hosting service that actually works.:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Junk removed from the trailer...the wood bunks were so rotten I could just pull them off...they were nailed on
DSCF4517.jpg

DSCF4532.jpg

My littlest helper...learning about boat restoration
DSCF4530.jpg

This piece should be adjustable but it's been welded
DSCF4524.jpg

Bunks and brackets removed...ready to strip...then prime...then paint
DSCF4523.jpg

DSCF4519.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

classic ugly trailer- thanks to Roslynn for helping out a bit. She says her finger was numb for two days from spraying...it's better now:)
DSCF4549.jpg

DSCF4541.jpg

Getting less ugly with the primer coats...first used a can of black rustoleum sandable primer followed by two 33% extra free! cans of grey sandable rustoleum auto primer

The paint is going to be sprayed rustoleum textured gunship grey(ok I made that name up I think it sounds cool so I'm going with it)

DSCF4558.jpg

DSCF4555.jpg

DSCF4554.jpg

KD Fisherman

Seaman Apprentice

Huron Angler,

The trailer is coming right along! I had to replace the entire axle, wheels, tires, lights, winch and rollers on mine just to be able to take the boat fishing! It sure is nice to have the peace of mind that the trailer is not going to break down. Let me know how the synthetic decking works for the bunks. Are you going to use carpet on them or do you think the boat will slide well on the decking?

Tight Lines!
Kyle

Huron Angler

Admiral

Thanks KD...sounds like I have an easy job compared to what you went through to get on the water:)

I'm actually not sure if I can wait to get the synthetic...kinda torn on what to do to be honest. I've got regular raw 2x4 that wants to be carpeted and be done with it for now...since the free synthetic lumber is 4hrs north(along with the '58 Johnson at Huron Sr's compound) but I'm thinking about heading north next weekend to grab the motor and material.

On the other hand I may just throw on what I have now so I can put the boat on it and get it outta the yard(I think my landlord concurs).

I will post pics regardless so you'll know what I decided. Lately my problem is failing to procure the correct size bolts from the hardware store. I swear I am mechanically disinclined and it's a miracle that I've gotten this far:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Some shots of the trailer after primer coats and the gunship grey textured rustoleum paint has been sprayed. The textured is a bit more grippy than regular and since I am a function before form kind of guy I could care less if it is glossy and shiny in the sun.

Actually I got home from work on thursday and it was painted for me!...Roslynn managed to get that accomplished while our younger son was napping and our 4 year-old just started 1/2 days of pre-school 4 days a week so she now has free time!!!. Maybe I should just start leaving lists of what needs to be done? LOL This confirms again that she is indeed a keeper. Not that I need to be reassured at this point.
DSCF4590.jpg

DSCF4589.jpg

DSCF4588.jpg

DSCF4587.jpg

I've found that labeling parts "port" and "starboard" saves a lot of time and frustration when holes are drilled specific to a particular side...took me a while to learn that the hard way
DSCF4581.jpg

These are the bow supports...not sure if I should glue the carpet or staple???
DSCF4591.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

This is the primer and paint that I used in case anyone is curious:)
I'm off to throw the boat on the old trailer and float down the river for some pike:D If I could just stop fishing this resto project wouldn't take so long but I am powerless against the urge:D
DSCF4586.jpg

KD Fisherman

Seaman Apprentice

Huron Angler-

Good luck on the pike fishing and post pics of your catch! I have been reading about the pike and would like to fish for them some day. The trailer is looking mighty fine. I was planning on going kokanee fishing today but the girlfriend is not excited about being in the boat in the rain.

Cheers,
Kyle

Huron Angler

Admiral

Huron Angler-

Good luck on the pike fishing and post pics of your catch! I have been reading about the pike and would like to fish for them some day. The trailer is looking mighty fine. I was planning on going kokanee fishing today but the girlfriend is not excited about being in the boat in the rain.

Cheers,
Kyle

For the first time in months "The Loon" returned to port with nary a fish :(

We did have a nice float down the river...until we encountered a huge tree blocking the entire river. I did bring my wood saw and hatchet for that reason but we quickly realized that only a chainsaw would allow us to clear the river in less than 4 hours.

So my friend is going to bring his chainsaw onboard next time and maybe his waders:D We were planning on setting a new distance record upstream but that will have to wait.

Kyle what are these kokanee you refer to? I think we need to swap fishing locations sometime since I'm curious about the west coast fishing just as much as you are interested in the great lakes fishing;)

Mike

KD Fisherman

Seaman Apprentice

Miike-

Sorry to hear about the lack of fish but I am sure it was still nice to be out on the water. I agree on trading fishing areas that sounds like a good idea. Kokanee are land locked sockeye salmon that live in most of the high mountain lakes and reservoirs. They generally don't get much larger than 18" or so (around here) but are really tasty when smoked or BBQ. We generally troll for them with Ford Fenders, wedding rings and worms/white corn. It is not uncommon to catch 25 per day (the legal limit on most lakes).

Huron Angler

Admiral

Kyle sockeye is one type of salmon that we do not have here in the great lakes region so that would be neat to catch someday(I've caught chinook, pink, coho and atlantic).

I love salmon smoked or grilled as you said...we've got a smoker that I've been meaning to break out and do a huge batch. Do you smoke it yourselves?

If you do I could use a few tips since I've never tried...we used to trade a few nice chinook fillets to a guy that was skilled at smoking it in exchange for a nice supply.:)

We did enjoy the ride up and back on the river despite not hooking into any fish...actually saw quite a few migratory birds that I have never seen before. Got some pics that I can post later. We had a very close encounter with a muskrat too that was pretty entertaining.:D

KD Fisherman

Seaman Apprentice

Mike-

I actually just purchased a Little Chief smoker and am going to start smoking this winter. I have a good friend that always smokes the fish for me but figure it is time I learn to smoke my own. I will pass on any tips or good brine secrets as I learn. On another note I started removing the interior paint on my Klamath this weekend. I am taking pics and will start a thread one of these days. Watching all the progress you, Rick and other folks are making on here really gave me the resto bug.

Cheers,
Kyle

Huron Angler

Admiral

Transom has been worked over with the wire brush, some jack*&% previous owner tainted the hull with spar varnish...oh wait that was me...I love aluminum.
DSCF4654.jpg

View of new plywood stained, stained, sealed, and bolted with stainless steel(more bolts will be added once I decide whether or not to use 5200 on the bolts...any thoughts?

DSCF4664.jpg

DSCF4663.jpg

DSCF4661.jpg

Roslynn told me that it needed to be buffed out to rid the finish of fingerprints...I'm glad she cares about the project...never argue with a woman while she's working on your transom;)

DSCF4657.jpg

The exterior transom wood will be bolted on tomorrow after I decide on the 5200...this thing is practically begging to have the 1950s Johnson 5hp bolted on and started up.

Huron Angler

Admiral

So does anyone have an opinion on whether or not I should use 5200 on the transom bolts?

My fear is that I've been told that stuff is tough to get off if the wood ever needs to be replaced. Course I've also heard that a heat gun will make removal a walk in the park. Just not sure:confused:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'd use it. I think if need be you could pick it back off fairly easily.

Fishpoop

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's my .02 cents to say that 5200 on the bolts is OK. Just don't over do it. Just don't apply 5200 to the transom wood and stick it on the hull. Like stated in my previous post...someday you might have to replace the transom again and it would be a nightmare to try and peel the wood off the hull (you'll probably end up breaking the wood before it pops off):eek:

just sayin'....

Huron Angler

Admiral

Thanks for the advice EZ and fishpoop...it is appreciated. I bought a small tube of 5200 fast curing that should be plenty for the bolts. I just need to make sure the wood is epoxied before bolting it down...I think...?

I may wait and build the new deck section for the bow and do one big epoxy job for the entire deck and the transom.

Not sure if that is necessary but since I should at least epoxy the exterior transom I might as well go the whole nine yards:)

Huron Sr. picked up the '58 Johnson 5hp from the dealer the other day and it is consistently starting on the first pull:D. The lower unit has been gone over and rebuilt in addition to a new water pump, carb, points, and of course plugs. The Johnson is being dropped off on thursday afternoon so I am planning on getting it on the water after work.

I have located a good shop for the vinyl decals and "The Look" so that is in the works as well. I'm trying to wrap this project up so I can free up some room in the garage for a larger tin can.:)

Huron Angler

Admiral

Some photos of the transom wood with a few stainless steel bolts, washers, locking nuts, and...something that I don't know what to call that acts as a countersink(also SS).

They were recommended by the people at West Marine. They really bite into the wood and should clamp down pretty tight with the 3M 5200 oozing out(not applied yet)
DSCF4671.jpg

DSCF4672.jpg

DSCF4677.jpg

DSCF4674.jpg

The exterior transom piece may be rounded on the bottom to follow the lines of the hull. What do you guys think?

Iboats is apparently out of gluvit?!? That's inconvenient since I'm ready to finish the whole project and need that to go any further.

I wonder if gluvit epoxy would work well on the transom also the decking to waterproof??? The west systems may be better since it is more clear I believe. Not sure.
DSCF4676.jpg

Rickairmedic

Commander

H A I think it might look better with the bottom corners rounded but then you will have to restain them so I dont know that I would mess with it. I did notice that the Boss is gonna be mad at you :D you got the transom board all printed up again after she went to all that work to polish it back up :D.

Rick

Huron Angler

Admiral

LOL Rick I already was thinking the same thing:D Good thing she's still around to help get the thing looking pretty as needed.

I've been thinking that I will have this rig done by mid-October...and picking up the 15' Holiday to fill the garage back up with aluminum:D (the 12' Aerocraft is going to be stored in my dad's pole barn loft for the winter and might stay up there for use on Lake Huron in the bays and around islands)

So I am motivated to get this thing done and on the water by thursday since it is already getting cold up here:mad::(:eek:

I'm curious how she will do as an icebreaker so maybe I'll keep her down here until december:D