Changing the water impeller

KingFloyd

Cadet
I have changed the water impeller and the housing ( the whole kit) three times in the last 3 months and the keep melting, in my 898 mercruiser outdrive. I think it's a pre alpha, since my boat is a 1979 searay with an 898 mercruiser. The last time it overheated my engine so bad it melted everything from the lower shifter cable, to the rubber connectors below the risers, the boot that connects to the outdrive in the bellhousing and even in the outdrive, the little housing in the upper unit where the water tube goes into. Never mind the waterpump housing itself which was unrecognizable. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong since I'm out of options. Also the gear oil in the outdrive turned white obviously mixing with water. I downloaded the whole manual and followed the steps, with the exception of when I installed the new water pump housing, in the upper portion of it, I inserted a rubber bushing, which came with the kit, between the metal part of the housing and the housing itself. It looked like it beloged there, and it made sense to keep pressure from escaping, but the instructions never mentioned it. Everytime I burned one of these pumps it looked like that bushing melted as well.
I got so exasparated I purchased another outdrive from ebay which claimed to be for my engine, but when I tried installing it, even though the bolt pattern matched, and it looked identical, I couldn't slip it in all the way. It seems like the spline on the shaft may be different. Also the shaft for the proppeler has a different thread for the retaining nut at the end.
One other question is can I use my upper unit and use the lower unit from the one I purchased , or will that screw up the gear ratio. Or will it even match?
The original outdrive has a part number 345586 and the one I bought which doesn't fit is 4797768.
Please help!!!
I know there are experts out there, to whom my problem may be child's play. I welcome any input.
Thanks a million

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Changing the water impeller

From what you describe your losing water flow out of the engine .How old are the manifolds ,risers, therm housing?
prop shaft threads should all be the same
Can you post a pic

KingFloyd

Cadet

Thanks for the input. The manifolds I just changed along with the risers. The termostat housing is original. But everything looks ok. I don't get any water from the outdrive (I disconnected the water hose coming in from the otdrive and nothing is coming in). I took apart the outdrive and the impeller is shot (burned out) again. I'm pretty sure my problem is in the outdrive. The issue is why I burn out so many water pump kits in the outdrive, and what am I doing wrong changing them. If you think something else is burning them, please tell me

ken_23434

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is it getting burned up while running the boat out on the water, or while running it out of the water.

The pump inside the outdrive is basically lubricated and cooled by the water it is pumping. To me it almost sounds like the SUCTION side of the pump is clogged and not letting the pump do it's job. Running it for a while without the water flowing through there, then burns up the impeller and the housing. I guess something similar could happen if the discharge was completely blocked. The water in the pump housing would not be able to flow, and would heat up from friction and eventually boil away and then burn up the pump. I don't think that would be very likely.

Do you see water coming out the prop and exhaust ports when running the boat on the trailer with the muffs on it?

KingFloyd

Cadet

Thanks ken, I checked for obstructions. I think I am unable to install a new water pump. Please walk me thru the installation process, as I was an idiot brand new to this..
Or if anyone caught my second part, can I switch my lower unit of my outdrive with the new one

ken_23434

Petty Officer 1st Class

The ---Adults Only--- sticky at the top of the forum has links to a lot of good threads. One of them will take you to one where you can download the official Mercruiser Service Manuals. Mercruiser used to have them on their site for free download, but has since taken them down. But, since they put them out for everyone on the Web, it is legal to keep sharing them.

Anyways, download the manual for your outdrive (probably either 4 or 5). This will give you step by step directions to replacing the water pump. I have only done one, and I just followed the manual.

http://www.mercstuff.com/howdoi.htm

That site also has some tutorials on doing various jobs. They have a couple videos on there too. I do not know if they have one to cover your specific outdrive. There is one link on there for how to identify what outdrive you have. They also have a pre-alpha and alpha 1 water pump replacement listed.

I hope that helps.