intermittent spark on all cylinders

flacplnj

Cadet
Have a 1993 225 Evintude Ocean Pro. Changed out ignition for CDI Pro Series quick strike ststem. Have intermittent spark on all cylinders at all rpms. Ohmed coils, wires, Checked all grounds. lync and sync done, Set full advance timimg on water. Disconnecred kill switch wires no change. Troubleshooting for the system only offers three scenarios. No fire, One cylinder no fire and one bank no fire. Nothing for all cylinders. Any suggestions?

flacplnj

Cadet
Re: intermittent spark on all cylinders

Dhadley or Tashasdaddy any if you have any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

flacplnj

Cadet

Tach eratic tested rectifier. Not with in spec. Ordered new rectifier. Could this cause problem described with this type of ignition?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You might want to check the flywheel magnets; click the thumbnail, please.

Attachments

• Sensor Magnet.JPG
    Sensor Magnet.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 0

flacplnj

Cadet

Re-installed magnets in December. Glued and installed aftermarket retainer kit. Magnets haven't moved. Thank you for suggestion.

jonesg

Admiral

Do you have the RF shields in place behind the coils?
Have you talked to CDI about it ?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, the diagram is for sensor magnets; I should have said that.

flacplnj

Cadet

Yes the RF shields are installed. The timer base that came with the kit was built incorrectly. I returned for a new one. When I installed the original base I could not get the unit to fire correctly. It would fire between cylinders. Called CDI. They knew what I was talking about straight away. He said they thought all the bad units were caught prior to shipping. They made a special effort to test the replacement base before shipping. The motor responds great all the way to 5600rpms except with a miss from idle through the entire range. With the timing light you can watch as each cylinder is dropping off. The motor ran great on the old CDI power pack and base. I just replaced to get away from the stator fired ignition. If I can find the problem this is a great unit. Engine fires straight away cold, hot. While diagnosing I saw the tach become eratic. After further investigation Rectifier is going bad. I'm just praying that this is the problem. think it has to be either inconsistent voltage or a grounding situatuion. But where or what that is the mystery.:(
Thank all of you for your input. VERY appreciated.

flacplnj

Cadet

Update,
Trigger defective. Thanks for all your help. This will be a great ignition when I get it back