Fuel and pressure tank for the '58

Hogie

Cadet
The '58 18hp wants to start so bad she can taste it.
I've read posts that got me through the coil, points, carb kit, fuel lines. I think I'm ready to here her run. Yesterday I tore the gas tank apart and installed new gaskets.
Today I only put 1 gallon of oil/gas in the tank because after it starts and shows me she is going to, I want to add the seafoam and perform the
de-carb.
I set it up in a test tank but I can't get fuel through the lines. I should see it in the filter bowl. Nothing. I won't light off. I know I have good spark.

I sprayed pre-mixed gas in the spark plug holes and when I pulled the cord. She cranked right up....until that was burnt up, so 2 seconds.

Question: After a carb clean and replacing the fuel lines etc, how does gas get through all the lines and bowls? By pressurizing the tank?

jbjennings

Captain
Re: Fuel and pressure tank for the '58

Nice Motor!
The tank should have a little black or aluminum (primer) button which you push that squirts gas into the glass bowl and then into the carb until the bowl fills. Then, when the motor cranks, it pressurizes the tank via the air line going from the intake manifold(hence the 2-line system) and the primer is no longer needed. Your primer probably isn't working. You may have to double check to see that the check ball in the fuel pickup tube is going up and letting fuel in the pickup line which is a common problem with tanks that have set up, or the check valves in the assembly at the top of the tank.
You'll love that motor.
Good luck,
JBJ

Last edited:

lindy46

Captain

You have to push the primer button on the tank until the glass filter bowl fills with gas and resistance is felt. If this is not happening, the primer must be defective or you have a blockage somewhere.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Put more gas in the tank and see if it will pressurize by following the tips given here in previous posts.

Hogie

Cadet

Thanks for the help. I pumped the primer a good long time but it didn't move the gas.
When I replaced the rubber inner gasket I did notice the bottom of the gas draw tube (screened area) is bent, but it didn't look like it would effect the suction. Obvious I didn't know what to look for.

Is there suppose to be check ball inside the tube?

I guess I should have looked at the parts drawings closer.

I can't wait to hear that girl run.

coolguy147

Commander

make sure u when u reinstalled the gasket that u put it on the right way with all the little parts. the spring the silver disk.

i know when i did mine that i accidently put it on upside down. it dorve me nuts!!:D

alangf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is a check ball that is almost certainly gummed up. Take good care of that tank. It is worth nearly as much as the engine! If the tank becomes a big problem the engine can be retrofitted with a fuel pump which will allow you to use a single hose tank.