lower unit assembly help!

Dutch515

Seaman Apprentice
I cant get the lower unit on and still have the rev/forward lever to work. Every time I put it back together the switch stays in rev. and wont move, what am I doing wrong? Dutch

steamplant

Cadet
Re: lower unit assembly help!

what size engine are you working on? Make sure the lower unit is in neutral prior to installing it. You can check by turning the input shaft in the clockwise direction and move the shift rod until the prop doesn't turn while the input shaft is turned.

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

As stated above ,make sure its in netural. Then what I do is start the drive shaft, the shaft will touch first and this will allow a little room to rotate the unit until the splines line up, once it slides up a little make sure the L/U is lined up correctly as to allow the water pump tube to silde into place. Make sure you turn the shaft the correct direction to line up the splines or you could bend the impeller blades the wrong way and damage them.

Most importiant of all is ........HAVE FUN.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Well, Dutch! Not only do we need to know engine size and year, but we also need to know what you did to the lower unit. I'm good, but not THAT good. Most times I can't tell what my wife is thinking or doing and I live with her. LOL

Dutch515

Seaman Apprentice

Haha thanks Frank, yeah I got a girlfriend like that too, well I cant find any Serial or model #s anywhere, I was told to look inside the cowl by the carb but found nothing. Its a 6 hp, and here is a pic. Im going out to the shop to try these tips. Thanks a million in advance guys, Dutch

DSCF0353.jpg

DSCF0355.jpg

Dutch515

Seaman Apprentice

well I think it has to do with the positioning of the shift rod in the l/u. It still does it, I connect the two shift rods and even tho its in neutral when I closr the halves together the lever goes right into rev. and wont let the rod go down into forw. Is there a specific position that lower shift rod needs to be in, I tried every position and the prop still turns the long shaft in everyone. Dutch

Dutch515

Seaman Apprentice

Found the ID tag, wow, you can even see it in the last pic there, I got to slow down. The serial # reads 62HH 9540. Dutch

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

OK--I know that little puppy. When yo disassemble, you must remove the four bolts holding on the lower unit. Then, with the gearshift in forward, you must reach in the gap and using a screwdriver or allen wrench--depending upon which screw type it is--remove the screw holding together the shift rods. to reassemble, you must put the gearshift in forward and pull up on the rod in the lower unit to get enough space to reassemble the two shift rods. Mate the ends then insert the screw to clamp them together. Now remember, this is done after the drive shaft and water pump tube are properly located. There will only be about 1/4 to 1/2 inch space in which to work.

Now, when you push up on the lower unit and insert the four bolts, either the gearshift lever will move or the internal rod will move downward.

The end of the lower unit shift rod is screwed into a flat plate with three detents. It rides in a slot in the lower unit and there is a bent metal spring to hold it tight against one wall of the slot. The dog clutch shaft end rides in one of these detents for forward, neutra, or reverse.
If you have opened the lower unit and lost the spring, it will not shift correctly.

If that doesn't help, let us know what you actually did to the lower unit.

Dutch515

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks frank, all I did was remove the 4 bolts holding the l/u together and then removed the allen screw that was holding the shift rods together and it came right out, never flipped the l/u upside down. Ill go out to the shop mon. and try what you told me too. Thanks again, Dutch

Dutch515

Seaman Apprentice

Well, same thing happens when I put it together today. I followed your instructions to a "T" but the gear shifter still locks in rev. I think the rod in lower end needs to be oiled up because it is hard to move in and out. Ill go squirt some pb blaster in there and see if it frees up a little bit. But I am so confused right now. Does that shaft need to be scewed in the plate all the way? It is but I just want to make sure. Dutch

Dutch515

Seaman Apprentice

it seems the shaft coming from the l/u reaches farther up towards the engine that the shaft coming from the engine, making it impossible to connect the two wth a screw and explaining why it always kicks and locks in rev. when the two halves are connected. Any ideas? Dutch