Adding oil to the TNT pump

carpenterken

Petty Officer 3rd Class
One of my TNT cylinders has a small leek (I plan on fixing it) When replacing the oil do you pump the oil in or fill to plug -lift-fill-lift. It's a 1977 115 Johney.

Also the parts man at the local marine said if the valve body was bad it could not be rebuilt. Is this true?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Adding oil to the TNT pump

If the unit is working OK, other than the leak around the cylinder cap, just replace the seal.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Where exactly is the leak? When filling, rest the motor on the trail locks (ie motor fully trimmed out) top up the fluid, cycle the motor a few times, it is self bleeding, then top up again. Continue doing this until the resevoir is full.

carpenterken

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Where exactly is the leak? When filling, rest the motor on the trail locks (ie motor fully trimmed out) top up the fluid, cycle the motor a few times, it is self bleeding, then top up again. Continue doing this until the reservoir is full.

The Starboard cylinder leaks around the shaft. It drips fluid and settles after raising. It gos up all the way but, settles down fairly quick.

I looked at the Cylinder and did not see how it came apart. Does the top part screw off?

What is the recommended fluid for these units?
I looked for the parts here on IBOATS but could not find them. Is there a good source for them on line?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Ok then what you have is a leaking trim cylinder piston or sleeve o -ring. To disassemble trim cylinder, use an adequate spanner and unscrew end cap. Trim piston assembly can be lifted out. The sleeve fits snugly and a hook must be used beneath it to pull the sleeve out. Your BRP dealer will have the o ring you need. Personally I use the BRP TNT fluid in my motors, but others have used ATF with success.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Does your PT&T have the pump outside of the transom brackets or inside?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

It sounds like you have the first, or early style TNT. You will certainly want a factory manual to trouble shoot this system, then it won't be easy on a first time basis. There will be special service tools involved.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

That is the issue, because the starboard piston on the old style is the tilt cylinder, not the trim cylinder and it is fairly easy to repair the seal as R.Johnson has said.

If the rod has pitted you may need a replacement.

carpenterken

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys, it is the old style with the pump on the out side.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Sorry then Ken, i led you in the wrong direction, when I heard starboard cylinder, I just automatically assumed trim cylinder, as comparing it to the port trim cylinder, good thing there are some smart guys to correct me! They know their stuff.