Oil change & Increased Volume

summerwind1991

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Changing oil for the season today, and sucked out about 5 1/2 quarts. However, this spring I put in 4.5 quarts. This is 5.7 merc '97 carb. What is the sign of water in oil? or can the hot, less viscous oil, increase volume by about a quart?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Oil change & Increased Volume

If it was water, the oil would be milky colored. Also smell it, gas due to a faulty fuel pump could also increase the oil level and the oil would smell like gas.

summerwind1991

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Don, feel alittle better, Oil was consistenly, jet black, very runny. Stuck my nose in it, don't really smell gas. Not sure how strong the gas odor would be. Can I just chalk it up to increase volume because the oil has gotten thinner?

Don S

Can I just chalk it up to increase volume because the oil has gotten thinner?

No, oil dosn't get noticibly bigger because it gets thinner (warmer).
What may have happened is you may be getting a false reading if the engine is not level. If the bow of the boat is low so you can get the drive down to run it, put the drive up, level the boat and see what the level of your oil is. Did you run the engine to fill the oil filter after putting in new oil?

summerwind1991

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What I've done is taken out the old oil and measured in the gallon and quart jug. That's where I'm getting the 5+ quart measurement. I'm going to head out and start with the new oil. Put 4 quarts in for starters.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

In older car motor's (carbed) getting gas in oil the was common place, especially in the colder winter months. What commonly would happen is a overrich choke system dumping gas on start up into the crank case. You might try to take a small amout in a safe area and see how flamable it is .........lol maybe not.

However if your using syntheic oil i would think the gas and oil would seperate after sitting still for a while? (days) Dunno if that hold's to be true but id be ready for a carb rebuild. runny oil is a sure sign of gas contamination, especially if the oil is cold and still run's

summerwind1991

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys. I do not use synthetic, is a carburated 1997. I just added 4 quarts, started it. I'll add the final more quart next year when I'm on the water. Tail Gunner I'll try that test. If you don't hear from me in a month...well I may have tested to much. I've got one more question, different topic, start another thread.

rckrzy1

Cadet

My 3.0L according to manual hold 4 qts with oil filter , YET I removed 5 qts and the oil was measuring full so someone got the numbers wrong.

Laddies

Banned

Most Mercrusier engines are 5 qt.engines since 1964 to date 8)

Don S

After re-reading your original post, don't forget back in the spring when you put in 4.5 quarts, are you sure you got all of the oil out of it that time, and did you have it setting level when you pulled the old oil out?