Ear Muffs to Start?

Im having difficulties getting my 90 hp merc out board starting. It wont even ignite the starter fluid that I sprayed in the carbs. I know I have spark, compression and new fuel and oil.

Does the engine require the muffs on to start?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Ear Muffs to Start?

dgordon, The motor does not require the muffs to start. The muffs supply cooling water (in liew of the lake, river or bay) and lubricates and cools the water pump.

If you are spraying ether into the motor, and it won't start, and you have spark. You likely have a serious lack of compression or spark timing that is very far off. It is also likely that if you keep spraying the ether, the motor will catch fire. Ether is also bad for the motor since the motor needs oil to keep the friction down.

I recommend you verify compression of 90-100 PSI, and reasonable spark timing.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Sea Foam's Deep Creep spray is an excellent starting fluid which contains lubricating oil.

Did you recently hit an obstruction. If so, you may have sheared the woodruff key which aligns the flywheel to the crank. If that timing is off she will never start.

Mark

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer

i agree with the above but to mae sure you understand, DO NOT use starting fluid in a 2 stroke engine. it creates havok and can do some real damage to the internals of the motor. Use deep creep like texas said since it has lubricating oil unlike starting fluid.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Keep in mind that the water lubricates/cools the lower unit impeller and even though you haven't had it running yet, repeated attempts to start it for long periods could cause some damage to the impeller, if possible I would still try to start with the muffs with some water flow.