'65 (I think) 90hp johson meteor 2

Apewood

Recruit
I've got a '65 (I think) 90hp johnson outboard that runs well for the most part, however it consistently hits rough spots where the engine seems to be running at half speed even when the throttle is all the way down. I've checked the spark plugs and run carberator cleaner through my gas but have had no luck. I'm pretty new to marine engines......any suggestions?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: '65 (I think) 90hp johson meteor 2

Hi Apewood

Can you give us some history on the motor? Is it new to you? Did it ever run right? Did it sit for along time? Etc?

Apewood

Recruit

yes....It is new to me. It was mounted on the boat I bought about 2 months ago. According to the previous owner it ran fine the year before last(they did not use it last year). It has run inconsistently almost every time I've used it, and it seems to be getting worse. The power will kick in and out randomly. Any ideas?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

Dirty carbs, intermitent shorting of wires in ignition system, loose wires in ignition system, weak fuel pump, leak in fuel line allowing air in.

My dad had one of those engines, so did my uncle. When they ran good they were great, but when they didn't I learned a lot of new words:^

freddyray21

Commander

had a 50 hp evinrude did the same thing. was dirty carbs

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

so basically it was not run for 18 months. when the engine faq starts working again, go to the engine faq forum, and read "awakening a sleeping outboard. " you are in need of a water pump rebuild, a carb cleaning and rebuild with a new kit and float, linc and sinc of the timing and carbs, and a decarb with a product, like Seafoam Deep Creep, it cleans the old crud and carbon out of the innards. and what jimmbo said.

Apewood

Recruit

wow....well I guess I've got some work to do. Thanks for the help. Hey....one more thing.....why does everyone have naval rankings and what/who decides this?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it is really base on the number of post. the higher the rank the more post they have made. if you click the name you can see the person profile.