At this price, is this 1995 70hp force worth it?

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer
Once again, another long time friend of my father's has been contacted, and he has a 1995 Force 70hp w/controls for sale for $700, $850 installed.<br /><br />He is a boat dealer/rental owner in Fulton Beach, TX, and my father has done business with him for over 10 years, as well as the rest of our family. I talked to him a few weeks ago when I first found out that I needed a new motor, or needed to rebuild mine, and he said he'd keep his eyes open.<br /><br />Well, today he called me and said he sold a guy a used boat, and he had his own engine...so he pulled the force off of it, and wants to sell it (or put it on another boat, whichever comes first). He will have his mechanic do a compression check in front of me, as well as a LU lube check. <br /><br />I've heard good and bad about Force, but most of it seems opinionated...no facts. Just that they are a little 'dirtier running', require 'good fuel and oil', and that they are no longer in business...and the newer ones were made by merc.<br /><br />So, if you have any input on this I'd appreciate it. The guy selling it says he hasn't had any trouble with them before, it's all in the maintenance. He said they are a good buy for the budget boater (that's me!) because they can be bought cheap, and in good shape due to people not liking them.<br /><br />Whatcha think?<br /><br />Shawn

D

DJ

Re: At this price, is this 1995 70hp force worth it?

Shawn,<br /><br />If the compression checks OK and the lower unit is in good shape, the price is hard to beat. Better yet, you trust the seller.<br /><br />Just take good care of it, and I'm sure you'll get your moneys worth.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Shawn,The price is hard to beat.Just bear in mind parts are not as easy to get as more common brands.<br /> There is no Merc. factory parts support.<br /> Im sure the motor is sound or your guy wouldnt sell it to you.<br /> You may want to casually ask where he gets parts for Force motors.Look for a specific answer not tap dancing.<br /> Keep in mind there is a reason it is priced so low.

alcan

Commander

Hi Shawn<br /> Yea, this sounds like an ok deal. I realy don't have much expirence with Forces. And from what I do know about them, they don't seem all that bad.<br /> How ever once you buy this motor it's your's. Don't expect much resale out of it. If and when it needs service, it going to be your problem.<br /> Think about this idea. What if you took your $850. and made a down payment on a brand new motor and made payments for two years? I think you would enjoy the motor long after you forgot about the payments. And if you took care of it you will have somthing to sell when your done.

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

I was unaware of financing on OB's alone... I thought you had to get a boat to get the financing..<br /><br />Who finances outboards? I'd love to get a new yamaha, and I've got the income, just not the bulk sum saved up. <br /><br />Also, is it hard to finance an outboard like it is a motorcycle or 4 wheeler? Is it considered a 'pleasure' item? I am only 19, but I've got strong credit with over 2 years of car payments and a year of mortgage...not to mention the little stuff.<br /><br />This may be what I end up doing...you opened a new book! <br /><br />However, I still think that 750 is a good deal...I'm going to check it out either way.<br /><br />As for the low selling price: He's selling it cheap because he already made his money on the boat itself...and doesn't have to get quite as large of a profit on the engine alone.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Shawn

alcan

Commander

Hi Shawn <br />I don't know about financing just a motor as such. But were there is a will there is a way. Just like anything else shop around and be prudent. There is a right and legal way to do things.Don't run to the loan shark on the corner. Oh and by the way, your freind had to make his money on the boat. Bottom line, Force could be the best motor that was ever built. It doesn't matter, people don't like them, so they won't buy them. Whether true or not, some how they earned their reputation.

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

Alcan...I fully understand your reasoning about the rep. and pricing of the Force. I just thought you were saying that he was selling it cheap because it was a lemon or had problems. If it does, he's unaware of them. <br /><br />I'll look into a signature loan, I got one for 2200 when I got my truck, and it's been paid off for a while now (the sig loan, not the truck unfortunately, hehe), so I shouldn't have a problem getting another signature loan for more than what I got before.<br /><br />Where's a good place to look for a new outboard on the internet? I noticed that this website has good deals, but most are pre-owned.<br /><br />Thanks!<br />Shawn

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer

Whattya think? Don't do it ShawnQ. May be OK deal now but you'll be stuck with it later. Parts are hard to come by now...later? These motors run great WFO. Throttle em back to cruise or troll and they load up and run rough. Had 96 Force 75 HP and constantly had to tinker with it to keep it running OK. Like the ad says "pay me now or pay me later". Save your dough and go for anything other than the Force brand.

D

DJ

Shawn,<br /><br />True, many (not all) the outboards here on iboats are pre-owned. However, many of them are backed by very strong manufacturer warranties.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Take a chance on the force. From all I have absorbed, the 70hp is a pretty decent and solid motor, mine included. Also the 120hp. I have not heard good thing about other models such as the 75hp. I have had my '95 since 1997 and have had no major problems. It has a Merc lower unit and ignition system. Not a lot of choices for props out there, but they are available, right here on iboats too. Have had no need for parts except for impellers and plugs, and a thermostat. There are many sorces for parts for these newer models, and many are still available from Mercury. It is easy to work on, one carb, 3 cylinders, easy access under the cowl. <br /><br />Go to this website,<br /><br />http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/PartsExpress/ProductSelection/ServiceParts/sph ome.asp?CID=<br /><br />punch in your serial number, and then all the parts you look up will be for that particular configuration of motor. It will tell you availability on each part you look up, along with exploded view parts diagrams. You can add a bunch to you cart, then empty it before actually making a purchase.<br /><br />I would have them install a new impeller, mount it on your boat, and test drive it under load. If it performs well, pay the man. If not, have him take it off and pay him for his time, or work out a deal on a new motor. <br /><br />As for the iboats outboards, not much in the new/demo catagory in the 70 or 75hp range. Some in the 60 and 90hp though. How much can your boat handle?<br /><br />Like I said, give the Force a chance. If you get a few years out of it and then something go wrong on it, you can always part it out and get your money out of it. I believe you have also said that you don't plan on keeping this boat for more than a year or 2 or 3??

D

DJ

Shawn,<br /><br />A couple last thoughts.<br /><br />1. If you are planning on selling the rig any time soon, the Force will be the thing that drastically lowers the price or makes it hard to sell.<br /><br />2. I am not a fan of financing anything. However, if you do so, non collatoral loans typically have high interest rates. You can effectively lower the interest rate by doubling up on payments or paying extra each payment period.<br /><br />If you pay a four year loan off in two years or less, your effective (realized) interest rate is about half of the stated APR on the loan.<br /><br />The dealer may be able to arrange financing on an outboard alone. It doesn't cost anything to ask.<br /><br />The dealer has far more leverage with lending institutions than you do. Don't forget, he gets a piece of the loan paper he writes, so he should be very willing to try and secure financing for you.

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

hmmm..what to do, what to do...<br /><br />I paid a total of $500 for the boat/motor/trailer...If I can sell the parts/pieces of the bad motor for $200, I will have $300 into the combo. If I then pay $700 for the force, I'll have $1k into a running, driving, water ready trailered 15ft center console with a solid floor and transom. I dont think I would have too much trouble getting my money back out of it...but who knows?<br /><br />I'm going to sit on it this weekend...and keep looking for info on the net.<br /><br />Thanks!<br />Shawn

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Shawn, just a small point on a credit check.<br /> If you have a credit card with a credit limit of<br />say 5,000 dollers they consider your credit liability to be 5,000 even if the balance is only 100 dollars.If you have a number of cards it <br />sure can add up.

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

The only credit card I've ever had is payed off..it was a best buy card for my computer...I'm credit card free!<br /><br />My parents preached on why I shouldn't get a card...I think I'll end up getting one eventually for emergencies..<br /><br />Thanks!<br />Shawn

sailor_turned_stinkpotter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was taught the evils of credit cards too, and didnt bother carrying one untill one day i tried to rent a car and book a hotel room.<br />Sorry, but with most of these businesses you dont exist without a credit card.<br />So Ive carried a credit card ever since and guess what the ONLY times I pull it out are.....<br /><br />Now could someone please answer my question on the twin ram tilt and trim.....pleeeeeeeeeeeease?<br />dave

91formula

Seaman

ShawnQ,<br /><br />Here are my 2 cents, I have a 92/120 force, I haven't really taken care of it, changed plugs, impeller (once), LU twice, the only problems I ever had with it was it left me sitting twice because I was 2 cheap to get a new starter when I had the brushing replaced and 1 of my relays to the trim went out, I have pulled many boats in (expensive 1s) I'm sure those with the 200hp/Honda's and Yamm's where embarrassed by getting pulled in by a force, I have never decarbed (alot of debate on that), still runs good, for the price I would do a compression test, check the LU, then go for it, I have never had a problem with parts but then again I never need anything major, my personal option is if the checks turn out good, the price sounds right go for it, my 2 cents!<br /><br />Teet

9675hpforce

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ha they want $1000 just to install a new motor. If you can get the motor and install dont walk run! Have an offer on mine for $3300 and considering it.

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

I can install it myself, no probs...<br /><br />I'm just worried about all of the 'Force is crap' hype that I've always heard, ya know? However, I haven't seen any real facts about it..just opinions. <br /><br />And, as we all know, opinions are like @$$holes, everybody has one..<br /><br />I'm going to look into the force this week. Check compression, LU lube, etc.<br /><br />Take care<br />Shawn

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Just my opinion, but for $700.00 I'd get it and run it till it dies. As long as you don't plan on going too far offshore with it, I'd grab it up if everything checks out!

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

I just got another line on a 1977 Johnson 55hp in running condition with all linkages, etc.. New wiring, steering, throttle, etc. It is $450.<br /><br />No, $700 on a 1995 Force 70hp or $450 on a 1977 OMC 55hp?<br /><br />Shawn