Your advice on investing in a small Aluminum Utility style boat manufacturer.

ryanmitton

Seaman
Mostly I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on where this industry is headed. Do you see more or less new (younger) fisherman coming on board? If your a dealer do you see more or less people entering into the boating industry buying a basic 16 or 14 foot aluminum boat with your basic 15, 20, 25 hp on it?

Full disclosure, I have been approached by a local businessman in BC, Canada, to invest in his boat building company which makes simple open-style Aluminum Fishing Boats. I do know a bit about this boat category, but thought you guys may have some sage advice as I consider the investment he is offering. Like if you see nobody buying these boats, then I think I will pass!

His boats range from $1500 to $2700, and they are all bench seating, look like a lund, are simple, maintainence free, fairly light weight, have a high cargo capacity and are rated for up to 40 hp in the larger 16 footers. At this level of boat, I don't see any real way to get an upper hand on "performance"??

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Ryan.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant
Re: Your advice on investing in a small Aluminum Utility style boat manufacturer.

I would have a few questions before investing in something like this.

1. Is this an established company or a new upstart?

2. Is there a retail dealer network already established? Is it regional or national? Is the US represented with dealers?

3. What differientiates these boats from the dozens of other manufacturers out there? Without differentiation in a young company you won't get much business.

Small aluminum boat sales are so hit or miss. If you are in the right location with the right boat a the right time you could make a fortune. Today the market is so saturated with good used boats going for really low prices that selling new ones has to be difficult. A few years ago buying a used boat would cost almost as much as a new one. It didn't make sense to buy used.

esobofh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Your advice on investing in a small Aluminum Utility style boat manufacturer.

Small aluminum boat sales are generally for the entry level, and as such are dictated largely by cost/price (and a fluctuating aluminum market). Most are similar feature-wise and only differ in the quality of build and material.

If you're start-up has an ingenious edge that will give them a leg-up on the materials market, great. otherwise, the only thing that can differentiate them is the quality - and higher quality means more $$$, and very little reason to go with a startup when you can buy a lund that has a fine build quality, excellent warranty, and proven performance.

So, the bottom line is.. what makes them poised to succeed? what have they got that other manufactures do not? is there genuinely something special that allows them to purchase aluminum cheap, or better quality parts cheap that will result in a better end-build at a similar price to competitors?

BigJ08

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have to agree with the above statements. Seems like a hard segment for a new, small company to break into.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Be very interested to know who this is, if it is an established company.

I'm in Kelowna and wondering if it is someone in the BC interior. I do know of one company that has tried to make small boats but went too heavy for the use. I doubt they are going to succeed.

One thing I would like to see is someone come out with a Jon boat. Too hard to get a Lowe or Lund up here in the Jon boat style.

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I read something the other day where the analyst are expecting the boat industry to "go in the tank" over the next year or two. Obviously this is due to the economy. Whether they are right or wrong.... I don't know. But I think that this is something to think about. They had also mentioned where many boat dealers are offering large discounts on their in-stock boats to get rid of them now and not sit on that inventory. I am by far, not an expert or an analyst, but it does seem that there are a lot of used boats being bought/sold and fewer new boats.

This happened several years ago in the general aviation market. Many manufacturers all-but quit making small aircraft for general aviation. There was a large supply of perfectly good used aircraft that were cheaper to purchase than a new one. So most people either kept their existing plane, bought a used one, or did without(like I did). Today, some of them have started to ramp-up manufacturing again as the industry is slowly coming back.

Yes, there are those few individuals that will still buy new. I would suggest that you ask your friends, family, etc....if they were going to buy that type of boat, would they spend $2500 for new, or $1000 for used. If you asked me... I would say $1000 used.

Just my 2 cents worth.

BF

Lieutenant

I don't know about BC, but around here there is always a market for open utility boats. Even used beat up, leaky, cracked ones from the '70's are worth a lot. I bought a 16' with several cracks that needed patches and welding for $500 and it was still a good deal (for this area). My cottage is in the heart of cottage country in NW Ontario (near Kenora). We're at the edge of road access. There are lots of fly in camps operating to the north and east of us and they all have a fleet of aluminum boats both in their home base lake, and more remote lakes that they drop guys into. So the potential market for those types of boats in this type of area is big. And it's not the "new boater" segment... It's having an extra boat or two like this at your cabin for when the buddies or extended family come out. Or to have a bare bones boat with good cargo capacity that you aren't afraid to lock up at the shore parking area and then use to get to a boat only access cabin.

If the company could secure a deal with a couple of the larger fly in camps it would probably get them some repeat business... BUT... it's a fairly tough segment I think... Lunds are #1 but seem a bit more expensive... around here, Misty Rivers are pretty popular, and a bit cheaper I think... and in NW ont, Naden boats (made in Vermillion Bay) seem to still be popular with camps. I have a Naden and an Edson, both 16'... The Naden has seen lots of abuse and is ugly, but is well made and a work horse. My Edson is lighter made, but has also been abused a lot less.

One problem with this segment from a business standpoint, is these things just don't wear out... there are still many boats from the 60's in regular service on my lake, so even though there are many many tinnies out there people don't usually replace them regularly..... On the other hand, their I/O runabout or wakeboard boat is more likely to get replaced once it's out of warranty and expensive repairs/maintenance start happening.

ryanmitton

Seaman

Thanks for everybodys thoughts so far. If there are any others please don't hesitate to comment with your opinions. Honestly I can't say as though I'm sold on the idea, and I really really really want to ensure that I'm not just emotionally attached to the idea which clouds my vision. Replies so far are below. Any other opinions welcome, I'm trying to turn over as many rocks before making a decision. Cheers, Ryan.

Some feedback so far:
@ Rotary racer and Esopfh
- The business is fairly well established, it's been in business for 15 years. It never ventured out past making the the very basic aluminum utility style boats and the owner tells me that's a good thing because he never over extended the business for fancy luxuries.
-Really there is nothing I can see that is unique about these boats over others. They appear to use thicker than average aluminum, and are rated to highest HP that I've seen in these Utility Style boats so far. (i've spent some time researching the offerings of other manufacturers like Lund).
- They are all rivited, and the owner feels that for this type of boat, rivited is better and moving to a welded hull (for this type of boat) just doesn't make any difference to the end user, and if any accidents ever did happen, rivits are apparently easier and cheaper to fix. That's just his take I don't neccessarily agree with it. I guess for me personally at this level of boat I really wouldn't care how the hull was made. He tells me that he has never had a warranty issue in his 15 years with over 1000 boats.
- His prices are low and he tells me his dealers make just as much if not more than an equivilent lund or starcraft (yah, and ofcourse he feels the boats are made better too). He makes them on an acreage that is bought and paid for, and the building too is bought and paid for so his overhead is really really low. It's this price advantage that has translated to sales since he started I reckon.
- He does not have a streamlined delivery system for the boats. No fancy delivery system in place, so he has not been able to grow his dealer network. I see opportunity here, if can truly get the dealers the same margins at a lower price, with the solid "no-warranty claims" record he is touting.

@ BF, the camps idea is a solid idea. These camps may very well be interested in a simple, zero maintainence, affordable, well-built boat. He may even be able to work in some crazy re-enforcements to whereever camp boats take the most abuse (I have no idea what the first place to go on a basic aluminum boat is). The idea of your product never needing to be replaced is not great for business. It's like when Toyota puts out a great car...that lasts for 150K miles before it needs to repaired...how do they do that? I guess the saturation level is just higher for cars. So far, I have never seen an aluminum boat in this style have to "be recycled" cause it was too far gone. I guess that issue comes down to ...Do we see enough influx of people buying recreational cottage property that want these boats for use on lakes? If yes, then it's not an issue, if no, like say water property ownership is on the decline, or fishing is on the decline, then the market is shrinking...which is a very big negative.

@ Geeco, thanks for your comments regarding aviation. That's a good analogy actually. Probably a bit fewer private aircraft than watercraft out there, but on a % basis its likely a very good analogy. It stands to reason that with the declining economy, there is a lot less 'disposable income' around and there will be fewer people buying boats. One thing I was wondering is if people who would have purchased a full-on devoted fishing boat for 25-65K would now be entertaining one of these less expensive, and less features-rich boats. BF suggests that this "new boater" market isn't who buys these boats...he suggests that they are rather "seconds" for having laying around the cabin for guests, my guess is not many people will have the disposable income to buy 'seconds' right now! And also, I agree with you, I would buy the $1000 dollar boat as well, (if it did not leak, and looked it had not been pounded it's whole life...but maybe you and I are just cheap!)

@ Tacklewasher, As far as I know, he only builds the semi V (V bow, with flat back end) because he wants the boats to be good all-around boats. Anyway you have large bodies of water around you in Kelowna what do you want a jon boat for anyway wouldn't you get pounded?

BF

Lieutenant

This is feeling a bit like an episode of Dragon's Den... :) But I do have some Q's...

If he's been doing his thing for 15 years, just wondering why does he need / want your investment $$$? What are the funds going to do for the company? Expand production capacity? Or is it possible that maybe the company isn't doing as well as it first appears and the current owner wants/needs a cash injection just to more or less stay the same? If it's the latter, I'd stay away.

Also, would you be a silent partner? Who would have the controlling interest? You've outlined what the business is now, but what I haven't heard you say is what the current owner wants (aside from your $$$). Do they want to establish a dealer network? or develop the delivery network? Does he want to expand, or would he prefer to keep it the size it is now? Not to sound like a MBA, but what's the business plan that your $$$ can realize and make the company into something worth more than it is right now? I could see it being a problem if you have visions of expanding production and distribution (which may seem niave to the current owner). What if he has has other ideas, maybe keeping to a smaller scale? Who decides what happens? Is there a board or would it just be the 2 of you? Maybe you bring some expertise (e.g. marketing?) to the table that makes you an attractive person to bring in?

I'm a bit of a cynical type... I don't know how big of an investment you are talking about, but my gut would say if there was something magical that a cash infusion would change, then the current owner would probably have financed it leveraging the owned land etc, and kept sole ownership himself. (?) I just wouldn't want to feel like I was the "cash cow" for a business that's treading water.

Last thing... it seems to me (a non "business" guy) that you might be focusing a bit too much on the end product (boat) when what you're really buying is part ownership of a business (that happens to make boats). How profitable has it been? What return can you expect on your investment if business just stays the same (= doesn't take off drastically). Could you live with it if the things went bad bad and the business failed? Or if there's not the return you want, could you get out somehow?

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

@ Tacklewasher, As far as I know, he only builds the semi V (V bow, with flat back end) because he wants the boats to be good all-around boats. Anyway you have large bodies of water around you in Kelowna what do you want a jon boat for anyway wouldn't you get pounded?

Have both. 3 big lakes and dozens of small lakes. Have an 18' for the big ones and want a jon for flyfishing the small ones.

But I understand limiting to one type.

canuckjgc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not to sound harsh, but if you need input from an internet forum you should not be making this investment.

In other words, the financial history of the company, the management and skill of the company, and a sophisticated marketing and business plan should be the foundation for any invesment. What people say here (on this topic) is irrelevant to the soundness of your investment decision.

Whether people are buying more or less of one boat now or later is also pretty irrelevant -- lots of companies fail in markets where people buy lots of product. Lots of companies are successful in niche small markets.

A lot of new investors and business people seem to think that a big potential market means a big potential profit. Not true. The operation of the company and the competitiveness of the product will win the day in nearly any market.

Last edited:

ryanmitton

Seaman

No worries Canuck I understand that viewpoint.

I do appreciate anybody's opinions or advice in regards to this niche segment of the boating business. I have never been involved with the boating business other than just using the boats my dad bought as a kid and this seemed like a natural place where members of the market may (the buyers of product) spend some time and maybe they have some valid points or advice to bring up.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Ryan.

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Actually, for me to give good feedback, I would need to have a demo boat delivered to me to test-out for a while. Feel free to contact me so that I can give you the address of where to deliver it.:D

ryanmitton

Seaman

LOL.

Its funny though really, I've been looking at what the differences between most of the Utility 'open bench" (maybe rear split seat) are and it's pretty much only the thickness of the aluminum and...and the paint color? haha.

Not a whole lot of room to get some kind of competative edge in this market. Basically if you ever lose the ability to keep your costs down your kinda hooped.

I've been thinking about some new innovations for this level of boat and am coming up with a very short list.

BF

Lieutenant

LOL.
I've been thinking about some new innovations for this level of boat and am coming up with a very short list.

I re-did the interior of my 16' edson when I bought it. It has the split rear seat. The split seat is nice in that it means you don't have to stradle the bench, but it comprises the strength quite a bit. The hull on mine flexes a bit at the rear in rough water.

As for innovations.... when I redid the seat tops on mine (plywood), I made a storage compartment in the port rear seat. It has a lockable flip up cover on the front part, and I left the rear part fixed (non-flip up) and is where I mounted my fish finder. Having some lockable storage there is nice. Also, having an option for a fuse block and switches would be good. I had to bodge together a fuse block (put in a tupperware container) that sits under the fixed portion of the rear port seat. I left enough room that I could fish it out if I need to change a fuse. I mounted switches on the interior aluminum bulkhead of that seat facing the driver. There are 2 illuminated rocker switches, one for the bilge pump, the other for the nav lights, an accessory toggle switch (kills power to my fish finder), and a 12 V power outlet. BTW, I mounted my bilge pump inside the port seat as well... I just hollowed a small section of the flotation foam at the transom for that. I mounted an air horn on the outside of the bow, and a push button switch on the aluminum bulkhead of the rear starboard seat (it's convenient for your right hand when operating the tiller with your left).

My battery is mounted in the front bench seat (flip up lid for covering it), and I used 1 1/2" PVC as a conduit to run battery lines back to the rear most seat (where it connects to the engine and my fuse box).

It's still an open utility boat, but most folks are surprised when that there's a hidden bilge pump (without there actually being a bilge), and the battery is tucked away. Having lights and a proper horn are good... especially if boating in a busy place.

I use the plastic quick disconnect seat holders on mine that swivel seats slide into..... but I imagine having those and swivel seats pre-installed could be an option too.

I don't have a livewell in mine, but could see that being attractive to some. One could be put under a bench seat.

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

What do you get for $1500 to $2700? Just the hull? Trailer? Set up for a helm or tiller steering? Seating? 14 - 16 foot is not small.

Do you have any pics?

BF

Lieutenant

I'm imagining something like a lund ssv 16 or the 14' equivalent... bench or split bench seats, no flooring (just hull), tiller. ssv 16's were pushing $4K here last time I priced them (a couple years ago)... I imagine their cheaper models to be more equivalent to the A14 or even maybe a 12' boat (?).

BTW, Canadian Tire carries Legend boats of this type in Kenora.... if his company could swing a deal to be the supplier for Cdn tire (carried only at the "resort town" locations), that might go a long way to a quick boost in sales. Just an idea.

ryanmitton

Seaman

Thanks guys. Again replies directed below:

@ BF, sounds like you did lots of custom work on your boat. The first thing I suggested was cup holders! I grew up and learned how to fish in simple open boats like this with good old evinrude 9.9's and 20's on them. For our area they are actually the best ones anyways because we go through a couple of shallow creeks and they have minimal draft. (I digress...ahhh...summer). Anyway, the biggest single PITA factor that I come across is peoples drink can's and bottles falling over all the time when everybody freaks out when a fish is caught (rare occasion for us, we are fishing disabled). 2nd was storage, to which he replied that would eat up some of the floatation, and he doesn't want to cut into his seats for the reason you said...stability. But I agree with you. I guess at the end of the day there are many added features you can add to a boat, but then the costs creep up and all of the sudden you must charge more. He's kinda tossed his hands in the air and said he just wants to make safe boats for families with not much money. As you said, I guess they are used primarily as seconds or overflow boats when guests arrive. For my family, we had not much money, and it was the primary boat my brothers and I learned in. The Canadian Tire idea, now that is a great idea, I'll pass that along to him no matter what my decision is. (Though my guess is that he doesn't really have the gusto to get into a Can Tire boardroom and get that large of a deal worked out). Does your boat leak? Is that why you put the bilge in or you just forgot to put the plug back in a couple times doing the 'drain as you go' trick? Either way I'd be impressed too if I saw a boat like this with a bilge pump. Ours never leaked but after a good night of rain we'd be bailing for a good hour using old javex bottles. :)

@ Allpoints, It's just the boat. I checked out a couple competitors, the 16 foot crestliner, it had a max rating of 25 hp (!!!low!!!) and they wanted 4500 for it! wow! Now this guy is selling his (he doesn't sell that many granted) for 2800, and they are rated way way higher I think up to a 45hp. I'm not sure what he does for a trailer, last I checked the 'latest' thing in trailers was to make them out of I-beam aluminum and they are very light weight that can be pulled by a Toyota Camry (if you have a simple aluminum boat like the ones were discussing). Far as I know he delivers them to his dealers on a flat-bed trailer and he just stacks them on top of each other using foam pads between them. BF is right about the styling being pretty much the same as the lunds he mentioned.

@ Bubba, Yah I was unsure about his riveting comments too. I mean, yah, I have had 6 plain jane riveted boats and none of them ever leaked (we did have to repair the bow on one after a collision in a creek though, hah), and we've never noticed our rivets boats being 'weak'......but the concept of a welded hull does seem to make a whole lot of sense. The part im un-settled on is that with respect to size of the boat?? Like a heavy crab trawler on the big open water of the ocean, or even the larger, you know, 75 hp Lund mega-fishing boats (don't know their model names) with the floors and the seats...now those would be way way heavier and I can see them moving to welded hulls. I don't know about it either way, for this light of a boat it kinda makes sense that it just doesn't take as much beating and the rivets are fine. Plus I always look out at the wings of an airplane and wonder if maybe the thinner aluminum boats use rivets because the thin aluminum flexes...and I read that the welds tend not to flex..and the rivets do flex. Pluses and Minuses probably depending on the intended use I suppose but hey, i'm no expert which is why I'm asking your opinions.

My wife and I have been talking this over, and the biggest question we have is: whats the future of the 'this segment' of the boating industry. If (as BF says) cottagers own these boats as seconds (or for their kids to toodle in like my parents did), OK, that makes sense...then the question defaults to 'Is the cottage ownership industry a growth market or a shrinking market'? Sounds like linking this simple boats to fishing is just the wrong methodology based on what I'm hearing.

What are you guys seeing in terms of cottage ownership say over the last 15 years? I'd say it's up here, lots of Calgarians buying places on Shuswap lake (in BC, and which incedently is a massive lake and not a good lake to put a 14 foot 9.9 on!). So based on my observations around me, most of the people I know are buying massive boats, not these small ones.

Honestly, I think were likely going to pass, I just can't see how this can be a 'growth' industry. I agree with the comments Canuck said about how management is the #1 factor, and with the size and type of investment were looking at, we'd be able to influence management or even replace it. So the next question is more focused on weather or not these type of simple aluminum boats are going the way of 'whale oil' or is there a steady demand from...new cottage owners with kiddies?

Cheers guys and thanks again. Ryan.

BF

Lieutenant

Mine has a couple of loose rivets that drip a bit, but the real reason for the bilge pump is for the rain... 16' with 80" beam catches an amazing amount of water. Like you said, bailing can be a pain.

For the storage in the rear port seat, I pop riveted an old aluminum PC case lid to the seat bulkheads, so it's about 7" or so deep... enough room to store my fishfinder and keep a tool kit etc. There's still >75% of the floatation in that seat.

I kind of think the market for these things is pretty regional... like I said, I'm going on my experience in cottage country of NW ont... I don't see there being a boom in demand, and like I said before, the real problem is the darned things just don't wear out. My Naden is a 1976, and my edson is a 1986 or so. I bought the Edson a couple years ago, re-did it how I wanted it, and then spent money on a new 4 stroke outboard for it. Kept the Naden as a "beater boat". Edson is my "nice" fishing boat... but still, no carpet to get dirty, so I don't mind the dogs or kids having dirty paws.... or having a Jack slime it... I also have an I/O bowrider for tubing etc. which is my "fancy" boat. No fishing in that one.

BTW, I don't miss cupholders.... my water or coffee cup sits nicely next to me in the rear splashwell... even if it spills, it just drains out the well.

Anyway, I don't think I'd be putting my cash into this segment now... maybe there's a nice little niche, but it seems like there's no shortage of suppliers... like I said before, misty river boats seem to be pretty popular for this type... for the folks not going Lund...

take care....

esobofh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welded hulls are better - and your boat builder is correct in saying that it makes no different to the end user - unless he's looking for resale and durability.

The fact is, rivets can leak, and the boats are less ridgid - especially if you trying to go to the extreme end of HP limits. It's not the motor that twists and shakes these boats, it's the pounding across waves that comes with the higher horsepower motors. Of course, a bigger motor puts alot of extra stress on the transom.

I have seen an older boat made by can-am (not to be confused with BRP), where the boat was welded at the transom, and welded on the bow - everything else was rivets. I'd love to see this kind of hybrid welded/rivetted boat come back onto the market (I don't know of one currently). but it seems to make sense that the parts that are important (hull, transom, seams) are welded, and then parts like the seats, strakes, flutes, etc - are rivetted.

This might be a nitch that you could slot a new entrant into...