Yamaha EFI, Mercury Opit or Evinrude Etec?

Bionic Man

Cadet
With great interest, I've been reading all the engine posts and am still trying to make up my mind on which 90hp engine I should get for my 20 foot pontoon boat. I've looked at all three and each has its pros and apparently no cons. One thing I definately want is reliability.

I know that both the Merc and Evinrude, being 2-stroke engines, will have more thrust out of the hole, but will they actually give significantly more speed? I do want to pull an occasional (6 times per season) lighter weight skiier, so that is an issue.

JD Power ranks the Merc Optimax as #1 in owner satisfaction in 2-stroke DFIs. I like the way that oil can be added to the Opti, without having to remove the cowling. I watched two Mercury representatives try to remove the cowling on the engine, and they had a tough time (with two guys doing it). That difficulty set me back. To add oil to the Etec, the cowling must be removed and the factory rep did this easily.

Right now, the Merc comes with a 5 year warranty, while Evinrude is giving a 6 year on the Etec. I think that the Evinrude is the lightest of the three.

The Yamaha 4-stroke EFI has a reputation as a very quiet and reliable engine and it too comes with an extended 6 year warranty. JD Power ranks it #2, just slightly behind Honda. Many posts I've read though refer to the great number of extra parts in a 4-stroke as a potential drawback.

As far as maintenance goes, the Etec seems to have the edge, with no recommended service for three years. The Opti apparently still needs an annual lower unit oil change, as does the Yamaha. I wonder about the Etec not requiring more frequent changes. The Yamaha also needs an annual engine oil change not required on the 2-strokes.

I'm on an inland lake and will likely run the engine less than 50 hours per season. I'd like to keep it for a long time, and I am a strong believer in preventive maintenance.

If you want to chime in on this, I would just love to hear your opinion. I hope to buy an engine in the next 3-5 days.

JUSTINTIME

Captain
Re: Yamaha EFI, Mercury Opit or Evinrude Etec?

go with what every dealer is near u

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Although I'm a die-hard two-stroke guy and would opt for an e-tec on my walleye boat, I feel a 4-stroke is a perfect match for a pontoon. Hole shot is better with a two stroke but that's not as much of an issue with a pontoon. Four strokes definitely have some maintenance issues such as valve adjustments, belt/chain issues and oil and filter disposal issues that you don't have with two-strokes. But any of the three will work. I just feel pontoons and four-strokes make a good combination.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

the E-TEC has a 7 year warranty, not a 6 year.

Depending how much actual time you spend boating each season, you may only have to add oil once per year with the E-TEC.