Yamaha C150 TXRU Rebuild Costs? Ideas?

sc_shane

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys. My old girl was stolen last year (pontooon with 90HP Yamaha 2 stroke) and I'm finally in a spot where I can afford a replacement boat. I found a nice setup, but trying to figure out if I should get myself into it or not. Here's the deal.

The potential boat has a 1996 Yamaha C150 TXRU. All the guy is telling me is that it has a bad cylinder and the head has been removed (still has it though). Besides fixing the cylinder, I would obviously want someone to look at the carbs and cooling system to find out why the cylinder burned up. This is NOT a project I would do on my own. I would pay someone to do this.

What would a complete motor overhaul run me on this (ballpark, obviously)? I would certainly have this done at a reputable marine shop with a certified Yamaha tech working on it. Just curious if a complete rebuild would include everything necessary to make this right, and what kind of cost is associated. This will give me an idea as to what to offer the guy for the boat. I know what the boat is worth witout the motor - just not sure if I should be looking at buying a new\rebuilt outboard or how much it would cost to fix this one. I really appreciate any advice you can give. I don't want to buy scrap metal.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Yamaha C150 TXRU Rebuild Costs? Ideas?

With the parts and labor, the price of the rig would have to be very attractive for me to consider it, and it'll be hard to determine how much parts and labor might be required to make the motor serviceable again, until it's disassembled. He may have had a plugged carb/lean fuel condition causing the cylinder failure. Maybe there's some other good boats with healthy motors around to look at. That's what I'd do. Good Luck!

sc_shane

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks - and I defintly agree. I think I can get this boat for a deal, but am just trying to make sure I do the math first. I may end of abandoning the idea of this rig altogether, but figured I'd take a shot anyway.

I think if I put $3k to $4k into the motor repair\replacement, I would have a good price for a nice boat. What I don't want to get into is get into a $5k+ motor repair and have an okay boat with an excellent motor. I think that's probably my price point of motor repair\replacement - less than $5k. Don't want to spend more than that for sure. Thanks again, maybe I should just sit back and punt.

The unfortunate side is I just can't afford what I really want, hence, trying to come up with a way to get close to it.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Unless you can repair a motor yourself I would not buy a broke one, It can run a lot higher than anyone will estimate or end up even cheaper.
Seems like insurance would have done you even better if you had had it

sc_shane

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, I guess you guys are telling me what I already knew. Punt.

The insurance company drug me across the coals because the boat was 20 years old. She looked like a 5 year old boat, TOPS and ran just as good. Unfortunately the insurance company didn't seem to care about that part. I got $4000 for it and was told I should be happy I got that. Im still considering suing the storage place since they didn't even notify me my boat was gone and locks were cut off and laying on the ground... :facepalm: