wont shift into reverse

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK,

So i have had my out drive off a couple of times and also the throttle off to replace the vinyl. I cant get my alpha one out drive into reverse. Looking at the shift shaft on the out drive it looks like it points striaght forward when in drive then about 40 deg clockwise in neutral and about 70 deg clockwise in reverse. I am wondering is this a alignment issue or possible the shift cable end isn't connected to the shift shaft in the out drive

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: wont shift into reverse

Are you making certain that the shift shaft coupler is pointed straight ahead as you put the outdrive on? I usually put outdrives back on with the prop removed so the blades don't hit the ground and turn the prop shaft out of forward. Basically you have to have the outdrive into forward gear also as you are putting it back on...if the prop shaft turns on you at all during the process than the coupler will angle towards the neutral position and you're destine to have some pretty major issues.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

OK,

So i have had my out drive off a couple of times and also the throttle off to replace the vinyl. I cant get my alpha one out drive into reverse. Looking at the shift shaft on the out drive it looks like it points striaght forward when in drive then about 40 deg clockwise in neutral and about 70 deg clockwise in reverse. I am wondering is this a alignment issue or possible the shift cable end isn't connected to the shift shaft in the out drive

OK, that is all wrong. The shift shaft should move CCW (when viewed from above) when shifting from F into N and R. Are you sure of the direction it is moving? I suspect that maybe, your shift slide is not connected properly to the upper shift shaft lever, but need more info.

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

lee yes everythung was in forward when installing the drive but not sure about the prop shaft being in forward. Stoney Your right i was giving direction from the bottom so if i go from the top every thing is ccw, what kind of more info do you need?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Kind of thought you might be looking up. Sounds like your gearhousing is OK, so there is only a couple of things that can go wrong. Either the upper shift shaft lever is not properly engaging the upper shift shaft lever or you are simply out of adjustment. Here is a procedure that I would do. Shift to F and then try to rotate the prop (by hand) CCW, should lock. Shift to N, prop should rotate either direction. Shift to R, prop should lock when rotated CW. Assuming it will not lock CW, take a look at the shift shaft to see if it has rotated CCW to about the 70 degree point that you saw before. If it appears to be working, try this adjustment procedure http://www.perfprotech.com/store/app_themes/ppt/images/tech-specs/alpha-shift-adjust.pdf start at manual page 87. Good luck.

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks all

Stony that is what the dr ordered a little adjustment to the shft cable and bobs your uncle. Problem solved