Wonder if I should go IO again or go OB?

cptbill

Chief Petty Officer
One more opinion from me. I just bout a regal and got rid of the wellcraft for me I/O is the only way to go outboards are over priced for one thing and way to complicated. Give me a VP that's GM based and I'll be happy and the maintenance and repairs are easy

QBhoy

Admiral
Must admit. I unexpectedly love my new merc 115 2.1 litre outboard. It’s just the pinnacle of mid range outboards right now and light years ahead of any other brand in the game. No doubt about it.
But it doesn’t excite me the way my old GM V8 Mpi does, when I hear her start up through the side exit Corsa Marine exhausts 😂.
But pound for pound…these new mercs are mostly just incredible things, I think. For a 2.1 litre engine badged at 115hp…to be as light as the old 2 stroke 115 that was I think only a 1.5 or 1.8 litre…and be miles more powerful than it…even more powerful than the wonderful 125 optimax in recent tests…just speaks volumes about how good these things are. I’m at a 1000 hours on this machine as of this weekend…it’s still as new, runs like a clock and been faultless to date. I learned recently that there are two of these on an aluminium small car ferry just near me. This ferry can take about 3 cars and a few passengers. It runs across a narrow river here and hard worked. These things clocked past 4000 odd hours a wee while ago, without issue of any sort apparently. Still going strong I hear. Amazing.
Sorry to ramble on…but finally, the fuel consumption is unreal. 1.5-1.7 miles per litre at about 22/23 mph cruising speed and from memory around 3500ish rpm. Think she uses early teens litres per hour at that. Even flat out at 43-45 mph gps (on a 19ft deep v cuddy) and 6050-6100 rpm…she maxed out at about 41 litres per hour at that.
Using this boat and engine…has literally changed the way I use a boat. Just so cheap to run.

jimmbo

Fleet Admiral
If I were buying again, I prefer to get an Outboard, unfortunately there are no more 2 strokes being Built, and while the 4 Strokes are getting better on Acceleration, they are still a bit slower then what the Old 2 Strokes can do. My current 18 1/2 ft I/O has 5.7 in it, and it can accelerate quite Quickly and has a good Top Speed, I just like the look of an Outboard, it gets the Engine out of the way, and the boat responded to Engine Trim better, and they used to be much cheaper and Easier to Winterize, than the I/O

Attachments

• MVI_0362.m4v
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

QBhoy

Admiral
If I were buying again, I prefer to get an Outboard, unfortunately there are no more 2 strokes being Built, and while the 4 Strokes are getting better on Acceleration, they are still a bit slower then what the Old 2 Strokes can do. My current 18 1/2 ft I/O has 5.7 in it, and it can accelerate quite Quickly and has a good Top Speed, I just like the look of an Outboard, it gets the Engine out of the way, and the boat responded to Engine Trim better, and they used to be much cheaper and Easier to Winterize, than the I/O
The new merc 115 CT will out accelerate a 125 optimax, like for like. And see it off on top speed. Amazing

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I had an '88 Alpha I 4.3LX. I liked it, but lots of stuff broke or wore out. 1 set manifolds and risers: several thermostats, circulating pump and belts: 1 set power steering hoses:2 alternators and starters: 1 set of bellows, u-joints and yoke seal plus the normal maintenance items found on the outdrive, plus carb rebuild, spark plugs, wires, rotor cap etc. I did all my one maintenance and took good care of it. Saltwater is real hard on them. My oil filter rusted thru twice, and my oil pan once. Each spring the bilge had unknown black rusted metal pieces. All in 14 years.

Winterizing took 1/2 day, which was from noon to sundown late in the year, when I did it. On one spring start-ups, my riser gasket failed and hydro locked the motor. No damage but needed to lap risers and manifolds. On another spring startup, the alternator shorted and started smoking. Never had that happen, Luckily I was there to see the smoke and pulled the battery cable.

Let's see on outboards. I only had 2 cycle carb ones, but have had them for 4+ decades. Waterpumps every 3-4 years, an occasional carb rebuild, an occasional set of thermostats, a voltage regulator, PTT motor, spark plugs when they rust externally. Winterizing takes 10 minutes. Once I did need to paint them and get new decals.

OB all the way........especially now with all the high HP ones.

Lou C

Fleet Admiral
Agreed I’d have a hard time ever buying another I/O. In my saltwater environment they are just too much work. OBs cost more initially but the benefits are worth it.
Longer season, due to self draining design
Better performance due to less weight for same HP
Safer:
less concern with fuel vapors in the bilge no bellows to fail
no cooling hoses in the engine compartment to leak & flood the bilge with sea water
Transom mount & exhaust system design on I/Os has many places that can leak water into the bilge; difficult & expensive to repair, most require an engine pull
Poor access in many modern boats make replacing starters and steering actuators very difficult. In some cases an engine pull is necessary
The boat companies don’t help either they have created designs that look good but make engine access horrible. Example: sunpad walk thru makes engine compartment narrower many have these on the same side where the starter is on every Merc or Volvo V6 or V8 I/O set up. Total lack of planning and disregard for owners and mechanics. No thanks!

Last edited: