Winterizing in Phoenix, AZ??

AZ_Ron

Seaman Apprentice
Hey All... New to boating, and although winter is a LONG way off right now, I figured I'd ask...
We live in Tempe, which is a suburb of Phoenix and I've seen so many posts about winterizing, it made me wonder what needs to be done to a boat in Phoenix? The last few winters have been pretty mild, and even when it's BAD it rarely gets to freezing.

Any opinions on this??

Thanks!!

Ron

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: Winterizing in Phoenix, AZ??

I lived in the area for a couple years but didn't have a boat down there. However, if I had I would have used it all year long. All you really need to do if you do lay it up is if it's stored outside make sure you store the engine [or drive] in the down position just in case it might freeze. Stabilize your fuel, [which I have been using Seafoam]. These are only if you are not going to use it for 3 months or longer. If you are storing the boat inside you don't have to much at all beside normal gear lube changes and proper maintenance.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

do you annual service in the late fall. then it should be ready for winter. in Florida, we don't winterize, on cold nights, we insert a protected 100 watt light bulb into the engine compartment. of course we ventilate the compartment first.

salty87

Commander

i'm in austin and haven't winterized in years, kept outside. for the rare instances where we get below freezing for more than 12 hours, i'll use a drop light in the engine compartment (use caution).

i've placed a cup of water in my boat during freezes, under the boat cover. the water hasn't frozen when i've tried. thick fiberglass, upholstery engine covers, boat covers...all add up to some decent insulation. depending on how cold it got and how fast, you'd need somewhere around 24 hours of freezing temps to do much damage.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Go find a snow shovel. Lean it against your front door with a "FOR RENT" sign on it. I did that in Ft. Lauderdale and would you believe someone stole the danged thing?

They stole it while I was out fishing. :)

AZ_Ron

Seaman Apprentice

Sweet, thanks guys.
I figure even in the winter, we'll bundle up and just cruise around the lake... with 4 kids, it's VERY important to have things to get them out of the house.

Thanks!

Ron

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Isn't winter in Phoenix an oxymoron? I'll bet it goes all the way down to 70.

AZ_Ron

Seaman Apprentice

LOL... yea, most days it is.
Pretty awesome when you can go out in shorts and a t-shirt in January... In the afternoons that is. It gets pretty darn cold at night, especially in the outerlying suburbs and desert. On occasion, it'll get down into the teens, but usually by afternoon, you can take any jacket you're wearing off.
One of my other hobbies is building and flying large rockets...we launch these things in VERY rural areas and dry lake beds, and in the winter months, you can freeze your butt off!!!

Ron

Isn't winter in Phoenix an oxymoron? I'll bet it goes all the way down to 70.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Howdy Ron. It freezes rarely down here, but it does freeze. Just this past January it got into the 20's. If you don't winterize, at least be ready to keep that outdrive warm on the colder nights.