windshield and side glass

pasquipa

Seaman Apprentice
My son has a 1987 Four Winns Horizon 190. It was parked in our side yard and a neighbor's tree came down on it and broke the windshield and side glass. It's a walk through windshield, that being port and starboard side windshield panels with a center panel that folds open. The side glass are long triangular one-piece panels. Any one know how to go about replacing all this ? The boat is old but runs like a top. We would really like to get this fixed but don't know where to start finding replacement panels. Any help is greatly appreciated.

erikgreen

Captain
Re: windshield and side glass

Unless you can find a replacement windshield that will fit in a boat junkyard somewhere, the odds are good you'll need to get a custom replacement made. If you can save the frame, do it, because a lot of times windshield shops can work from that.

But if the frame is bent, you'll need to find a replacement for that first, hence the comment on junkyards. Iboats used to offer a custom windshield service based on the measurements of the windshield in question, don't know if they still do.

Erik

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Unless you can find a replacement windshield that will fit in a boat junkyard somewhere, the odds are good you'll need to get a custom replacement made. If you can save the frame, do it, because a lot of times windshield shops can work from that.

But if the frame is bent, you'll need to find a replacement for that first, hence the comment on junkyards. Iboats used to offer a custom windshield service based on the measurements of the windshield in question, don't know if they still do.

Erik

You can also trace the glass opening on cardboard, plus the extra 1'2 inch that overlays the frame. The glass shop will be happy to make safety laiminated glass, or tempered glass (at much more money) for your windshield.

I decided to go with glass because I added widnshield wipers to the hard top. No wipers, no way of cleaning the glass.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

On second thought, go to he manufacturer, and find out that the lead time is for a new replacement. Then give the bill to your neighbor, or take him to small claims court.

pasquipa

Seaman Apprentice

If we start looking in junkyards, does it have to be the exact same make/model/year ? Or as long as the footprint is close to what we had ?

erikgreen

Captain

If you want it original equipment, you'd have to find the same model. Otherwise a similar year or size will work.

Unless you have a very unusual windshield the exact year won't matter, only that it fits the hull cap and goes where it's supposed to.

Erik

pasquipa

Seaman Apprentice

The neighboring homeowner happens to be my landlord's brother. He is on board with all this and will be paying for whatever balance remains after insurance. Good to know that similar years may work fine. The windshield does not appear to be anything very special. I'll take a closer look at the frames to see if they can be reused. If not, I guess replacements need to be orderd if I can't find any from junkers. Thanks for your input everyone.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

if you really really get stuck.......lexan will work.....however.....its not the same as glass and youll be replacing it every few years.

it is also possible to go with a ordinary window glass.....(not tempered) IF you add a security plastic coating on the glass......its for store windows.....you can hit the glass with a sledge hammer ......it will break the glass....but you wont go thru it, and no jagged shards, as the glass is glued to the plastic covering.....its uv rated

pasquipa

Seaman Apprentice

I was able to locate the exact same year, make and model boat at a boat junkyard. All the glass is intact. The owner was hoping to sell the entire boat but after 5 years of no interest or inquiries, he decided to part it out after I spoke with him. We're getting the windshield and sideglass for $100.00 What luck !

erikgreen

Captain

Cool, glad it worked out. Check out the same boat for any other spare parts you think might break... they'll get harder to find as time goes by :)

pasquipa

Seaman Apprentice

I took your advice about the spare parts. We made a deal with the guy to buy the whole boat for $500. Going to haul it home tomorrow actually. Now the fun begins...

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

$500 is a great deal for the parts you'll get out of it especially if you're planning on keeping the boat.