Why I'm nervous boating at night...

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Wanted to leave the restaurant earlier but needed to take a zoom call. Ended up after sunset, pretty dark. On the 6 mile ride back passed at least 4 boats fishing without any stern lights, a couple snuck up on me. I made a point to keep my spot light on each for as long as possible. One guy got pissed. Please do your stupid/dangerous siht without putting me in danger as well.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Wanted to leave the restaurant earlier but needed to take a zoom call. Ended up after sunset, pretty dark. On the 6 mile ride back passed at least 4 boats fishing without any stern lights, a couple snuck up on me. I made a point to keep my spot light on each for as long as possible. One guy got pissed. Please do your stupid/dangerous siht without putting me in danger as well.
I always yell loudly at them " where is your anchor light" ?? Often get some snide comments but I come back with, " calling the police" .....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Coming back into the inlet from 20 miles south late one night.
Nothing on radar......caught the "flick of a BIC" out the corner on my eye passing the outer buoy.

Two people in a small skiff tied to the buoy. Using a lighter to signal passing boats as they went by.

I immediately cut the throttle and dropped off plane, creating a huge wake in the process. Rocked them pretty good. Lots of cussing...just continued on my way.....lol

airshot

Rear Admiral
We don't typically run after dark as there are to many crazy drivers out there. We are out on the 4th for fireworks and occasionally if we come in late from a ride. I have grownup on this end of the big lake, so after 60 years I am confident in where I am going, just not sure I trust others !!

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
Boating at night is a completely different experience than most people realize. Personally, I enjoy it immensely- on a clear, moonlit night with the proper tools (nav lighting, VHF, sounder, GPS, radar, spotlight).
I’ve run my current boat in the ICW overnight and was comfortable. Slow is the only way to go, and only when the captain is sober and rested. It is something every boater should purposefully try a few times just to understand the difference.

Most ‘weekend warriors’ have no idea how different it is, and that‘s why it is typically dangerous. Long ago, I was one of those warriors and one night found myself out on a dark and stormy night with only a sounder, VHF, and nav lights. Almost ran over a fish trap while on plane, scared the bejeezus out of me and taught me a BIG lesson that night!

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Ya, its a skill-testing event every time. Sure sucks when someone sets a low, dark little boat adrift and you come up on it - glad it was just me in a little tinny that time, 'cause I'd have launched, and who-knows what. Was not concerned that someone was going to have to search for their little boat that was found and was tied-up (unscathed) to some other dock

cyclops222

Ensign
Russian Roulette ?
Ever hit a just below the surface WOOD power pole ? The 60' ones. Bright daylight.
At night.
MAYDAY MAYDAY WE are severely injured and dead in the water.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Unless a clear moonlit night I think it’s very risky esp without good nav system with easy to read screen.

briangcc

Commander
15 years ago maybe...over 4th of July my uncle and I anchored in the St Lawrence River to watch fireworks over Boldt Castle. Started lightly misting at the end of the show.

Making our way back through the channel it was pitch black, only thing you could make out were the beacons on the channel markers. No moon, all cloud cover. You could hear the go fast boats buzzing by and could feel the wake afterwards...no lights though. Cured me of ever wanting to do that again.

flashback

Captain
I get alot of bass boats running the river wide open in the night. They are generally lit up. I worry for them.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Russian Roulette ?
Ever hit a just below the surface WOOD power pole ? The 60' ones. Bright daylight.
At night.
MAYDAY MAYDAY WE are severely injured and dead in the water.
In 76 I hit a Pole Floating in the Water, at about 30mph.

airshot

Rear Admiral
In 76 I hit a Pole Floating in the Water, at about 30mph.
I hit a sunken object at 30 mph as well in 1986. No idea what it was but it was solid. Had my 18' Star craft CC running up the river at night. Downtown is well lit up at night but what ever was there was just under the surface and couldn't see it. Pushed the whole bottom of my hull up about two feet turning the pointed bow inside out ! Other than superficial cuts, bruises etc we were OK. Boat did not take on a drop of water ! Tough time steering and difficult to get it on the trailer. Insurance adjuster stated " glad you didn't have a fiberglass boat" it would have exploded and sunk like a rock. Only accident I have ever had, and hope it was the last !!

1985 Century Mustang

Chief Petty Officer
I used to go out in the dark, no more. Too risky for everything possible in the ocean. Yeah I'd be nervous too.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I used to go out in the dark, no more. Too risky for everything possible in the ocean. Yeah I'd be nervous too.
Do you drive at night?

The probability of an accident on the way to a grocery store is far greater than running a boat at night in the ocean.

You would be surprised at the number of “boaters” with a water phobia. Really kicks in when the beach drops over the horizon.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Half the boaters here either don’t know, and don’t respect right of way rules, speeding across channels etc. At night? Not for me! That and lobster pot bouys can really ruin your day. We don’t get much debris in the water but the other factor you should keep in mind is as you age your night vision declines as well….

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
one rule i have riding at night "" i only go as fast as i am willing to hit something ,
i too enjoy riding at night when its moonlight, docking and loading "well thats another story :).