Which gasket is better for impeller install, metal or fiber?

Drcoffee

Petty Officer 1st Class
boat is a ‘95 Rinker 212 with 5.7L alpha one gen two
I have searched here and google for information on which kit is better, the fiber lower gasket or the steel plate lower gasket, In fact I bought both kits to see the difference. Sounds like there may have been issues with the fiber gasket blowing out. does using a sealant stop the gasket from shifting?
with the steel gasket, do you use silicone or just bare? I have never seen a steel gasket when the torque spec is so low, 60 Lb in. Thats roughly 5#s.

do you use loctite on the impeller pump housing bolts or anti seize? Does the steel gasket work better?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Sillycone is useless. There is no Sillycone in the Merc manuals. WHichever you use, follow the service manual recommendation as to what sealers to use or not use.

Drcoffee

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Rick
Thanks for your input. Im new at boating, kind of. I have had 3 boats before 15 yrs ago and sold them at the end of each season. So Boating I know. Maintenace I am new to. Dont take offense but you seem to be an old grizzled boater irritated by new boaters and our stupid questions. Way way back when, you were in my shoes you probably had questions too.
I just bought my boat 4 weeks ago and have not bought a service manual yet so I am relying on the kindness of others to help get up to speed. I do all my own car maintenance and consider myself mechanically inclined.
From the few pages of the service manual have found, Mercruiser lists their part numbers which can sometimes be impossible to find online because they have superseded numbers.
I found gray gasket maker for water pumps from permatex but the nore I search Permatex has aviation gasket sealer/compound. Would that be a good substitute for quicksilver gasket compound?
There is very little info I can put faith in regarding the updated impeller housing metal gasket. And nothing about using a sealer on it. Any help would be appreciated.
also there is a small o ring from the gear lube galley which requires some adhesive. Again only a part number I cant cross reference. Would the aviation sealer work for that as well?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hi Rick
Thanks for your input. Im new at boating, kind of. I have had 3 boats before 15 yrs ago and sold them at the end of each season. So Boating I know. Maintenace I am new to. Dont take offense but you seem to be an old grizzled boater irritated by new boaters and our stupid questions. Way way back when, you were in my shoes you probably had questions too.
I just bought my boat 4 weeks ago and have not bought a service manual yet so I am relying on the kindness of others to help get up to speed. I do all my own car maintenance and consider myself mechanically inclined.
From the few pages of the service manual have found, Mercruiser lists their part numbers which can sometimes be impossible to find online because they have superseded numbers.
I found gray gasket maker for water pumps from permatex but the nore I search Permatex has aviation gasket sealer/compound. Would that be a good substitute for quicksilver gasket compound?
There is very little info I can put faith in regarding the updated impeller housing metal gasket. And nothing about using a sealer on it. Any help would be appreciated.
also there is a small o ring from the gear lube galley which requires some adhesive. Again only a part number I cant cross reference. Would the aviation sealer work for that as well?

What did Rick say wrong? He expressed an opinion about silicone, which most us share, and said in so many words to read and heed the manual.

As far as you saying to Rick "Dont take offense but you seem to be an old grizzled boater irritated by new boaters and our stupid questions".
That is not an opinion for you to express! As Mark Twain said a long time ago - It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
IMHO, there are two successful methods to maintaining a Mercruiser Sterndrive. One: hire a trained mechanic. and Two: get the OEM service manual and follow it.

Changing the basic methods laid out by the manual should only be done with both experience and great consideration. Merc sterndrives require a LOT of maintenance. More than almost any other boating hardware. Tons more than an outboard. Mistakes made in maintenance can cost an outdrive without much consideration to how hard and far it blows a budget.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Although I agree that Rick seems pretty grizzled, I didn't see anything in his message at which to take offense. His advice is really very sound: don't use silicone and DO get a service manual if you plan to do your own maintenance.

I do most of my own maintenance and with a few exceptions, the manual really makes it clear what to use. (Finding part number is always a bit of a challenge and I have been known to ask for that kind of help here.) In almost every case I can think of, the manual instructs on whether to use a sealant, thread locker, etc., and for the most part, I follow that to the letter.

I think the last time I replaced all the pump stuff, I went with the metal gasket. It is kinda confusing that both are still available.

Drcoffee

Petty Officer 1st Class
Forums are a great place for anyone anywhere to exchange ideas and information. And I agree with Rick, the service manual would be ideal. However, there would be no need for forums if every answer was “follow the procedure in the manual”. I get it. I dont have one. So I am looking to those who have experience and are willing to share with me what they know.
4 posts later, and we still dont have an answer to the questions. But we do have opinions on how Im probably not capable of turning a screw or wrench and should defer to a trained mechanic. Sort of feels like I contacted a union hall by mistake.
again, Im not intending to insult anyone. I came here for answers to a few questions. I get the impression you think Im a jerk because I didnt accept a non responsive answer. Im sure your intensions are sincere, But referring me to a mechanic is not helpful.
and whether you think Im a genius or fool makes no difference to me. Only a child cares what other people think of them.

Bondo

Staff member
boat is a ‘95 Rinker 212 with 5.7L alpha one gen two
I have searched here and google for information on which kit is better, the fiber lower gasket or the steel plate lower gasket, In fact I bought both kits to see the difference. Sounds like there may have been issues with the fiber gasket blowing out. does using a sealant stop the gasket from shifting?
with the steel gasket, do you use silicone or just bare? I have never seen a steel gasket when the torque spec is so low, 60 Lb in. Thats roughly 5#s.

do you use loctite on the impeller pump housing bolts or anti seize? Does the steel gasket work better?
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... One gasket sealant that every boater should have on hand is Quicksilver Perfect Seal,.....
Personally, I use Permatex #3, which is exactly the same sealant, 'n much easier to find,.....
It's a liquid, non-dryin'/ hardenin' sealant,......
'n while I certainly qualify as an old grizzled boater,.......
I admit, I'm confused by the "metal gasket" comment,.....
As the only metal gasket I can think of is the replaceable wear plate, which still needs a gasket above, 'n below it,.....

As for sealant, 'n the Gen.II water pumps,..... Yes, Seal it up,....
Those pumps have been know to suck air, insteada water when on-plane,.....
'n be very careful that the entire stack of parts are Perfectly aligned when ya snug down the screws,.....

'n if you think Rick is grizzled,........
Just wait til ya meet Scott Danforth,...... :D

Drcoffee

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think the last time I replaced all the pump stuff, I went with the metal gasket. It is kinda confusing that both are still available.

thats what Im looking for. Did you install the metal gasket dry or coat it with something. Im just wondering how a metal plate held in place with only 5 Lb ft can be a seal or gasket, spacer, yes. Gasket, no

Drcoffee

Petty Officer 1st Class
The kits are coming with a perimeter steel plate rather than a fiber gasket. The item in the upper left corner is the lower gasket, made of stainless steel.

E5DD0ADF-EA2C-4902-8C7F-E7AB89498E0A.jpeg

One of our mods, Achris has a couple of videos on Gen II water pump service. He has a part A and B video. I haven't watched them as I have the older Alpha One model.
Check them out about half way down the list:

Scott06

Admiral
The kits are coming with a perimeter steel plate rather than a fiber gasket. The item in the upper left corner is the lower gasket, made of stainless steel.

View attachment 350584
I got one of these with the metal lower gasket as well. dont have it handy as its at the lake, but i do recall it had an instruction sheet with it. Did it detail anything about sealer?

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
personally i love these, both gaskets are bonded ot the plate, makes install easier than ever, no guess as to if all the pieces are aligned.

Drcoffee

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got one of these with the metal lower gasket as well. dont have it handy as its at the lake, but i do recall it had an instruction sheet with it. Did it detail anything about sealer?

neither kit I bought had instructions. That metal gasket cant make a complete seal. It might not blow out, but as mentioned above, would most likely suck air when on plane.

Another difference between the two kits I bought, one impeller had a plastic core, the other had a metal core. Im leaning towards the metal core.

Grub54891

Admiral
neither kit I bought had instructions. That metal gasket cant make a complete seal. It might not blow out, but as mentioned above, would most likely suck air when on plane.

Another difference between the two kits I bought, one impeller had a plastic core, the other had a metal core. Im leaning towards the metal core.
Kind of sounds like you bought aftermarket kits. oem is the only way to go with these parts.

Bottomsupscott

Seaman Apprentice
Hey Partner, what it seems you may also need in addition to the above would be a dab of humility and a sense of humor as these gentleman will give you all the time in the world, should you stumble. Without it you'll be as broke as your boat!

Drcoffee

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey Partner, what it seems you may also need in addition to the above would be a dab of humility and a sense of humor as these gentleman will give you all the time in the world, should you stumble. Without it you'll be as broke as your boat!
Good grief. And this is your contribution to scold me first thing in the morning?. These gentlemen offer one answer. Follow the manual. I dont have one. Which is why I posed the question. Not to point out the Obvious, but if I had the manual and live next to a marina, I wouldnt need to ask the question.
If you dont want to provide information, go to another thread about which wine you prefer. You may not see it, but their answers were demeaning and almost disrespectful. Im 57 years old and very capable of wrenching.
now apparently I have committed sacrilege by using aftermarket parts. Im not worthy of responses now? Maybe I missed the secret handshake. LOL
Lighten Francis.

Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
The Quicksilver kit I use (817275Q05) has the steel plate with the integrated gaskets; it came with a parts list and instructions. I think I bought mine on EvilBay.

s-l500.jpg

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
So, is this metal gasket kit a real thing or some aftermarket junk?
If anything, this conversation hopefully will clear that up.
I'd like to know for the next time I do this.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If you would look at how the pump functions you would see that you need a gasket below and above the ss wear plate to prevent it from sucking air. Look at where the pump lives. At planing speed the pump is above the water line in a cavity full of hot exaust and water exiting the elbows. IT IS NOT BELOW THE WATER LINE ANYMORE

This next post is from a Mercruiser kit

817275Q4 12414 18-3147​

2 product ratings