Which F/W Seperator?

Acer2428

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Guys,

I have an '81 115 Merc and I'd like to put a fuel/water seperator on it for good measure. I also believe I have some crappy gas in there.

I looked in the iboats store, but I don't want to pay $60 for one. I saw some in the $25 region, which sounds more like it. However, what size do I need? Inlet/Outlet size?

Thanks.

Sam

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Which F/W Seperator?

Sam, The seperators are pretty much one size fits all. You can get a universal seperator kit with an extra element for about $30, at a discount marine store.

After you install it, makes sure you monitor the fuel supply to assure you have enough fuel going to the carbs. On my old Merc 1500, the fuel pump had a hard time with the restriction of a filter. Also, if the seperator fills up with water, water will get to the motor. I recommend you run the motor and remove the seperator and dump it into a clear container. You should see the water, if their is any. No reinstall the old seperator and run some more. Eventually you should get all the water out of the tank.

gss036

Commander
Re: Which F/W Seperator?

I am a firm believer you get what you pay for. If you can afford it and have room, install a racor system. That way you can monitor the fuel in the filter container.
I have suffered through the old style Merc universal for years simpley because I do not have room (depth under housing) for the cannister. As it is now I have to use the short type filter and it is a bear to install. The Tech (?) who installed it stood at the back of the boat on the ground. w/o an engine and installed it in the rear access hole. So, everything is backwards. I personally would like to have mine visable so I can monitor it and if there is a small amount of water then you can simply drain it into a small container. I don't have that option, as a consquence, I have to change my filter more often than I should, just for confidence of having a clean fiter. Over the years, I am sure I could have paid for 2-3 Racors w/ saving on fuel filters alone.
Just my 2 cents.