What's a Thermo Switch Assmebly??

Dave-115hp-1970-115083

Seaman Apprentice
The one on my boat was bypassed (Missing). Should i replace it before operation. do i have to have one?

1970 evinrude
115hp
model 115083

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: What's a Thermo Switch Assmebly??

You mean the one with two purple/yellow wires? It is for partial chiking of the motor during warm-up. A lot of people disable it to allow choking only when the choke switch is operated. So in a word, no you don't need it. Connect both wires from the choke solenoid to the purple/white screw terminal on the terminal strip.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you want to know whether or not the engine is overheating and near destruction it would be a good idea to replace it. A thermo-switch is a theremostatic switch which means the switch closes at a specific engine temperature. The switch then sounds the warning horn in the control box to alert you to the overheat.

Dave-115hp-1970-115083

Seaman Apprentice

sounds like it's important and that i should replace it, and that it willl not prevent me from operationing the boat while i wait for a new one.

thanks guys.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Dave..... DO NOT replace that thermostatic switch! It has nothing to do with overheating (No offense intended Silver). See below.

(Temperature Actuated Choke Solenoid Conversion)
(J. Reeves)

Various OMC engines that were manufactured in the later 1960s thru the early 1970s, for example the 1969 55hp Evinrude/Johnson incorporated a dual stage choke solenoid...... easy to identify as they have two wires leading to the solenoid, one purple/white, one purple/yellow.

The purple/yellow is attached at the engine wiring terminal strip to another purple/yellow wire that led to a heat sensor. The initial stage, with the key ON, (purple/yellow), when cold, would keep the choke pulled in half way until the engine warmed up, at which time it would release and open the choke butterfly.

The second stage (purple/white) is attached to another purple/white wire at the engine terminal strip which leads to the choke switch. When the switch was engaged, the choke closed etc.

The problem with this setup is that as the engine got older, the thermostat acted up, water pump became weak, whatever, the heat sensor failed to operate properly and the choke would not release from that half closed position. This would cause the engine to run in a rich fuel mixture condition (flooding, loading up).

The cure to this problem, via a service bulletin from OMC was to remove the solenoid purple/yellow wire from its original location and connect both of the solenoid wires (purple/yellow & purple/white) to the engine wiring harness purple/white wire at the engine terminal strip.

The above change would allow both solenoid wires to be energized when the choke switch is engaged, pulling the choke butterfly in firmly..... and only when the choke switch is engaged.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

No offense taken Joe -- I assumed (incorrectly) that he was talking about the overheat switch.