What size outboard should I get?

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 17' fish n ski, right now its got a 120hp force on it. The motor hasn't been right since I bought the boat, I've worked on it and worked on it and worked on it, and I am finally calling it quits. I believe my boat is about 1200 lbs or so (I have to double check that in the day time).

I don't necessarily need speed, didn't buy the boat for skiing, bought it for fishing & family. How do I know what's the minimum hp that I need to do the job, but without harming the engine? What would be optimal? The boat is rated up to 175hp, but I really think a 90 would do. I had my neighbor tow me in with his 60hp (moved both boats fine).

Oh yeah, the bow mounted trolling motor is only 43 lbs of thrust and not doing the job, think the motor is junk too or do I need more power? Thanks.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: What size outboard should I get?

With a max rating of 175hp i would not go below 70% of that which equates to 120hp.
Just what are you expecting from your trolling motor ???

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

The trolling motor just doesn't work properly. It's surging on one battery and only works for a very short distance on two batteries. I don't know if the motor is just done/ junk, or if its not powerful enough for the size of my boat. my neighbor has a smaller/ much lighter boat with 55 lbs of thrust.

Is there a rule 70% rule as far as outboards and hp go, or is that something that you came up with? Thanks.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

The trolling motor just doesn't work properly. It's surging on one battery and only works for a very short distance on two batteries. I don't know if the motor is just done/ junk, or if its not powerful enough for the size of my boat. my neighbor has a smaller/ much lighter boat with 55 lbs of thrust.

Is there a rule 70% rule as far as outboards and hp go, or is that something that you came up with? Thanks.

Generally 70% of the max rated hp is around the minimum needed for satisfactory performance.
Could be the batteries giving your trolling motor issues. What type are you using. There is a section for trolling motors in the forum. You may get some better answers there for that issue.