What should I do about... This???

tlovelandka

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I don't know what to do about my livewell...

In ripping out my deck I'm torn as to what to do about it.

The livewell is currently glassed into the side of the hull. It's not connected to the cap at all. Here's a picture of it, taken while I was ripping out the deck.

015.jpg

Should I cut it out, replace the deck, and then glass the livewell back in?
Or should I get all the old rot out from under it, slide the new deck under it, and then tab it down onto the deck?

I'm open to suggestions here... What do you think?

-TLove

tlovelandka

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: What should I do about... This???

There's some more pics of it in my thread if you want to take a closer look...

Thanks in advance guys!:D

-TLove

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

I vote for cutting it out, easier working without it than around it. Shouldn't be much to put back and leaves the possibility of moving fore or aft if desired...just my opi.

tlovelandka

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm not opposed to cutting it out, but I pretty much know it's going back in the same spot. I'm afraid to mess with cutting a new hole in the hull, but then again not having to mess with cutting the livewell out would be even easier... ;)

Basically, I just want to do this right but easy is always nice...

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Go for it, worse comes to worse then cut it....think positive, piece of cake as they say..lol

drewpster

Commander

I would carefully cut it out. Your so close to getting it all out anyway. If you damage the bottom of it you can always glass it back to the deck.

tlovelandka

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, I'll go with ya'lls suggestions and cut it out. It seems like trouble now, but I think ya'll are right that in the end it'll end up being easier.

Oh and SWMBO said to tell you guys that it was "her idea" to cut it out in the first place. Actually it went something more like, "I told you to cut it out!!" :D

I'll post pics of how it goes in my thread

-TLove

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Why would you need deck UNDER the livewell anyway. I would get the old deck out and cut the new deck around the livewell and then tab the deck to the livewell.

tlovelandka

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The boat was built with the deck underneath the livewell, so I figured that the deck is needed for strength under the livewell (when it's full).

Or at least I'd feel better about it if it were that way... does that make sense?

-TLove