What kind of motor is best?

Nilla1

Cadet
My brother and I are acquiring a little 12' fishing boat. we are new at this, and would like to know which is the right motor. Please help.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What kind of motor is best?

9.9 Johnson or Evinrude would do nicely.

Nilla1

Cadet

Thank you. Do we need a trolling motor, also?

Nilla1

Cadet

Probably small lakes, and ponds, but there is a larger lake nearby that we considered trying.

lindy46

Captain

Depends on your needs - a 3hp to 10hp would all push the boat fine. A 3hp will not go very fast and will not plane the boat, but will troll nicely. Good for small lakes and ponds where you're not covering large distances. A larger motor, such as a 9.5 or 10hp will get you where you want to go much faster, and they will troll fine also, but will probably cost a little more money. You probably wouldn't want to consider anything bigger than 10hp for a 12' fishing boat.

88HP

Cadet

I have a 9.9 Evinrude that I bought new in the early 90?s. Great motor and I never had any trouble with it. However, it may be a little big in both power and weight for a 12? boat (mine works great on a 14?). Don?t know what the weight of the motor actually is (would guess about 90 lbs) but it is a struggle for me to get it on and off the boat by myself. I would suggest for a 12? boat a 6 hp motor might be a better choice. Obviously it won?t go as fast, but less likely to have waves wash over the back of the boat and a lot easier to get on and off.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Most 12' boats are rated for 10hp. I would go the max. A 5 or 6 will get you there but you won't be happy. Especially when everyone with a 10 gets to the fishing hole before you. I have a 9.5 and a 9.9 johnsons for mine. Both are great motors but if I had to choose one it would be the 9.9.

ryendube

Petty Officer 1st Class

youll get away with a 2stroke 9.9 the 4s are that much heavier... well even with the 2 unless you have a passanger up on the bow a 12 ft may look like a dragster wheeling down the strip....