What is a Drive Shower?

victorc1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello, I saw this and I was wondering what is this for and do I need it? Drive Shower Mercruiser Alpha Outdrive Sterndrive.

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What is a Drive Shower?

A drive shower has a piece of tubing that works as a water pick up and carries the water to a shower head over the top cap on your drive. This is to help keep your drive cool while running beings the drive is mostly out of the water when running. I don't know anyone that runs one.I guess their alright if you run for long periods.http://www.briterinnovations.com/briter-innovations-marine-drive-showers.asp

victorc1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello, Thanks for the info, I bought a 1996 Monterey 180 SCR and I saw the shower drive on the internet and was wondering what it is for, I guess I really don"t need it. I don't really go too fast or too far on the boat. Thanks again.

robjen1019

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is one reason I like the old volvo's. The upper and lower gear cases are using the same fluid. It circulates from bottom to top and keeps the entire drive cool. That being said, I have never had a problem with my mercruiser.

burp

Petty Officer 1st Class

The other benefit from a drive shower is no more white chalky deposits building up on the outdrive. So no more outdrive scrubbing using CLR, Lime-Away or X14.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

That is one reason I like the old volvo's. The upper and lower gear cases are using the same fluid.

Are there any drives that DO NOT share fluid between the upper and lower units?

The other benefit from a drive shower is no more white chalky deposits building up on the outdrive.

That would be THE benefit of the drive shower. When the drive gets hot and is dunked back into the water it flash boils and leaves the deposits. Keep the drive cool with the shower and no boiling, thus no deposits.

Paul eagen

Seaman

Are there any drives that DO NOT share fluid between the upper and lower units?

That would be THE benefit of the drive shower. When the drive gets hot and is dunked back into the water it flash boils and leaves the deposits. Keep the drive cool with the shower and no boiling, thus no deposits.

I have a 79 stringer drive that the upper and lower are separate. Then there is the itermediate housing oil too. Oh , then there is the tilt clutch housing that needs oil also.:eek: