What is a 1980 25ft Mako Center Console w/ HPDI 250 Yamaha worth?

cclements716

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Boat interior has just been redone. Boat has T-Top, New Aluminum I Beam trailer, hydraulic steering, leaning post , and HPDI Yamaha 250. The boat does need to be re gel but what will it be worth with a fresh gel coat and a great running engine?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: What is a 1980 25ft Mako Center Console w/ HPDI 250 Yamaha worth?

a lot of variables to guess value but it's a good rig.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

these "what's it worth?" questions for 30 year old project boats are impossible to answer with anything other than a rough guess that could be off by several hundred percent... just post up what the asking price is.... also "re gel" could cost a LOT more than you might think. better check

A boat that "needs" anything is a project and as such should be discounted by more than just the cost of parts and labor.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The HPDI 250 and HPDI 300 where not one of Yamaha's best efforts.

Philster

Captain

Agreed ^. While these are not "Ficht"-level issues with the HPDI, fact is that there are issues that severely damaged the HPDI reputation, and that HPDI is on the ''the list", so you lose a big chunk of potential buyers, and as demand goes down and time goes by, the price drops.

Center consoles become so generic over time that a good engine on the back can really sell the boat, so it's not the best package. Screams, "Do as little as you can to move it". Ergo, skip the gel work.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I believe he is considering purchasing... not selling

cclements716

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What engine would be a better choice? From everyone i talk to the Yama's are the most reliable. The guy is asking $16,800. New gel coat, interior has been painted with interlux Perfection. T Top with crows nest

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

well looking on ebay there's a 2000 21' mako with a 200 hp efi merc for $12.500 ... this one is bigger but 20 years older..... sounds high to me

EDIT:
also found this on ebay
1986 Mako 228 Walkaround with a 1996 Yamaha 225 Saltwater Series I. Boat has new interior, new gas tank 112 gal. Bennet trim tabs, closed transom with bracket, Garmin GPS/Chart plotter/Sonar, VFH, Stereo Sysytem with I-Pod. New electrical panel with dual battery system. Aluminun Outriggers, raw water washdown, hydraulic streering. Boat is in immaculate condition, too many items to list, must see!! Trailer is included in sale, 2000 Continental Dual Axel Aluminum with new tires, new bearings, new lights. Ready to go fishing!! Any reasonable offer will be considered. $12,500.00 OBO

All I can say is shop heavy and compare what similar boats are actually selling for.... that's the best way to figure value

EDIT AGAIN:

1994 Baja Sport Fisherman 28 Ft Center Console Boat with Tandem Axle Trailer. Twin Outboard 225hp Merc (Merc Shop rebuild on Port Engine with 15-20hrs). Starboard engine has 450hrs. Salt Water Use. Fiberglass Hull. One new lower unit with two years no fault warranty left.

4 Blade Stainless Props in Excellent Shape
2 New Bilge Pumps (1 Automatic and 1 Manual Over Ride)
1 Live Well Under Center Seat with New Pump and Plumbing
Fresh Water Holding Tanks with Shower
Raw Water Pump and Wash Down Hose
2 New Batteries
20 Rod Holders (8 Newly Replaced for cosmetic reasons)
Lowrance Depth/GPS INS 522 Color
Furuno Depth Finder
Garmin 225 GPS
Sony Marine Radio/CD with 6 Speakers
Front/Back Inside Boat
Remote Spot Light with Stick Control on Dash
2 Fire Extinguishers
6 Life Jackets

2003 Gold Coast Aluminum Load Master trailer double axle with bolted on spare and full hub and bearings spare (trailer probably has no more than 50 miles on it as it was used for in and out's and storage).

BIN $18,900

Looks like a LOT of boat compared to the ole mako

cclements716

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Theres more of a calling for the old makos rather than the new ones.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

well looking on ebay there's a 2000 21' mako with a 200 hp efi merc for 15 ... this one is bigger but 20 years older..... sounds high to me

EDIT:
also found this on ebay
1986 Mako 228 Walkaround with a 1996 Yamaha 225 Saltwater Series I. Boat has new interior, new gas tank 112 gal. Bennet trim tabs, closed transom with bracket, Garmin GPS/Chart plotter/Sonar, VFH, Stereo Sysytem with I-Pod. New electrical panel with dual battery system. Aluminun Outriggers, raw water washdown, hydraulic streering. Boat is in immaculate condition, too many items to list, must see!! Trailer is included in sale, 2000 Continental Dual Axel Aluminum with new tires, new bearings, new lights. Ready to go fishing!! Any reasonable offer will be considered. $12,500.00 OBO

All I can say is shop heavy and compare what similar boats are actually selling for.... that's the best way to figure value

EDIT AGAIN:

1994 Baja Sport Fisherman 28 Ft Center Console Boat with Tandem Axle Trailer. Twin Outboard 225hp Merc (Merc Shop rebuild on Port Engine with 15-20hrs). Starboard engine has 450hrs. Salt Water Use. Fiberglass Hull. One new lower unit with two years no fault warranty left.

4 Blade Stainless Props in Excellent Shape
2 New Bilge Pumps (1 Automatic and 1 Manual Over Ride)
1 Live Well Under Center Seat with New Pump and Plumbing
Fresh Water Holding Tanks with Shower
Raw Water Pump and Wash Down Hose
2 New Batteries
20 Rod Holders (8 Newly Replaced for cosmetic reasons)
Lowrance Depth/GPS INS 522 Color
Furuno Depth Finder
Garmin 225 GPS
Sony Marine Radio/CD with 6 Speakers
Front/Back Inside Boat
Remote Spot Light with Stick Control on Dash
2 Fire Extinguishers
6 Life Jackets

2003 Gold Coast Aluminum Load Master trailer double axle with bolted on spare and full hub and bearings spare (trailer probably has no more than 50 miles on it as it was used for in and out's and storage).

BIN $18,900

Looks like a LOT of boat compared to the ole mako

The old makos are battleships that went to see and stood the test of time. tried and true. A lot more than you can say about a Baja. Not to mention, would you buy a boat where all the rod holders where replaced for cosmetic reasons and it had a power head replaced at less than 450 hours? Heck, the trailer makes up 20% of the asking price

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Theres more of a calling for the old makos rather than the new ones.
Mako was a family run business from 67-96. The new "Makos" have been made by Tracker Marine, i.e Bass Pro Shops, since 1998 if that tells you anything.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I'm just throwing out comparisons.... I think the boat in question is overpriced but I'm far from calling it junk.... I hope it didn't sound like I was endorsing the baha as a better built boat.... I did kinda think it might sell easier than the ole mako tho.

chriscraft254

Commander

The 25 foot Mako was one of there best riding mako's. Probably one of the most sought after in the mako crowd. Mako I believe was taken over by tracker around 1989 to 1990. Classicmako.com is a good resource to also ask your question on what it is worth. I would have to see the add/pics and condition of the boat and the upgrades to give you a opinion on the price.

What electronics does it come with? Has the transom, stringers and fuel tank been replaced? If not, probably will need to be in the future. The Mako's were tanks but the old ones were wood transoms and stringers and most of them rott away because of water soaked foam surrounding everything and poor hatches etc letting water into the hulls. Great boats but not high end built. Fit and finish was not there specialty. That being said I have had two of them and love the boats. Just need to know what you are getting into.

Again pics and an add would make it much easier to give you a better opinion. If it has a crows nest, more than likely was driven hard offshore for fishing. Saltwater boat brings in more issues. Hows the wiring?

Again, check out Classicmako.com. Good luck.

Here is a wa one for free if interested http://sarasota.craigslist.org/boa/2825711484.html

Here is one for $13500.00 This one is probably worth the money asked for. Looks like it is well taken care of. http://mobile.craigslist.org/boa/2775395068.html

Another WA 18K Etecs http://wilmington.craigslist.org/boa/2815882934.html

Another one probably worth the money because it was professionally done. http://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-sale-wanted/393931-1992-221-mako-new-pics-added-1-30-a.html

cclements716

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have tried registering for classic mako and they have yet to send me a confirmation email so that i can confirm and log in. I do think the price is a little steep but i know that they are good boats and was just curious. I am really open to any center console project or not a project. I thought i had my hands on a 23 Mako that needed to be rebuilt for a good $. I would really like to dive into one and redo everything from the bottom up if i could find one for a decent price.

chriscraft254

Commander

I have tried registering for classic mako and they have yet to send me a confirmation email so that i can confirm and log in. I do think the price is a little steep but i know that they are good boats and was just curious. I am really open to any center console project or not a project. I thought i had my hands on a 23 Mako that needed to be rebuilt for a good $. I would really like to dive into one and redo everything from the bottom up if i could find one for a decent price.

Did you see the free one I posted? Doesn't get much cheaper than that, but it doesn't get much more expensive than that either,lol Do you have a link to the one you are looking at?

cclements716

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here is a picture. The boat will have a fresh gel coat before it gets sold by a marine shop. The engine is now out of the deal. Trailer is new. I have got him down to $6000. What do you think? He just had the inside repainted but went with the original tan interior instead of white. So i will have to redo that. Comes with color GPS/Depth VHF and AM/FM/CD/IPOD. T Top and Cobia tower (Crows nest) What are yalls thoughts?IMAG0196.jpg

chriscraft254

Commander

Here is a picture. The boat will have a fresh gel coat before it gets sold by a marine shop. The engine is now out of the deal. Trailer is new. I have got him down to $6000. What do you think? He just had the inside repainted but went with the original tan interior instead of white. So i will have to redo that. Comes with color GPS/Depth VHF and AM/FM/CD/IPOD. T Top and Cobia tower (Crows nest) What are yalls thoughts?View attachment 131217

Need more info and interior pics and details of electronics. The interior and exterior was all white at some point. All gel coat. The interior floor would be the only thing that would have been a mustard color. Notorious on the mako's for being very hot on your feet.

The depth finder means nothing without a model and year. Old electronics and cheap electronics are worth nothing in a deal. New updated electronics would be worth something. Radios are cheap as well. The exterior looks like it was painted and the bottom paint just sucks because you can't see blisters and such which is also common on the older makos.

Looks like a nice trailer.

When you say new gelcoating before it is sold, what do you mean? Exterior, interior? Patches? Sure they mean gel coat? If they are going to gel coat the exterior, all the paint should come off. Why no motor?

cclements716

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Tan floor. Not interior gunnels. Electronics are lorance 339c. Exterior gel coating above and below the water line.

cclements716

Petty Officer 3rd Class

He's keeping the motor to put on new boat