Water temp. gauge, How to

frankie g

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ya know, I don't have a water temp gauge and I probably should . I have a 2004 2302 with a Merc 150 saltwater 2 stroke and would like to put one in can anyone let me know how or where to hook it up to the engine...I'm not a very good mechanic you know

rob711

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Water temp. gauge, How to

yeah!!! why don't they have one..seems like an important thing to watch...i have a 2005 1802 w/115hp 4 stroke..temp gauge is one of those things on my list of to do's...have'nt looked into it but it cant b that hard...or so i think

frankie g

Petty Officer 1st Class

Makes you wonder...I bought my 2302 new in 2004, and spent Thousands, you'd think the manufacture would add one to the dash...would would it have cost to do this ...at a retail cost of about 100. bucks. :eek:

JamNJ1955

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I installed one last winter, on my 2001 Merc 150, there is a tan wire on the startboard side, this is the temp guage lead. I ran a wire from the lead up the starboard side and under the dash. I made a 2" circular hole which the guage fits snugly into. The guage came with detailed intructions and the installation was fairly simple. If you have any questions, let me know.

John

tan2_op_800x533.jpg

Boat_015_op_800x533.jpg

frankie g

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great, I'm gonna pop the cover and take a look see and get back to ya, thanks

frankie g

Petty Officer 1st Class

here are some pic's

engine001.jpg

port side. whats the wire attached to by the plug?

engine002.jpg

looks white but thats the brown wire starboard side. goes upward and allso goes down to a wire harness

engine003.jpg

and the brown wire goes to a splitter of some kind and goes up to a bunch of wires

is it the one one the starboard side? that wire go's up to the top and it looks like it goes to a wire harness, and if is the one and it's in the wire harness, do you think it;s allready uder my dash? The first pic is the port side, and the 2nd & 3rd is the staboard side

JamNJ1955

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Frankie

Its defiately the tan wire on the starboard side.

My guess is yes, thats the same wire thats on mine except they never ran it with the harness. (Mine was just let hanging there) I would check under the dash, your wire is probably already there.

John

frankie g

Petty Officer 1st Class

fantastic! What type of drill bit did you use to drill through the dash. on you guage how many wires does it take, I now know THE BROWN one ( hope there's only one) and any other wire? Thanks a million!

JamNJ1955

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I bought a 2" bit from Lowes, worked well. Yes 3 wires, I forget the color.

John

frankie g

Petty Officer 1st Class

is it a wood bit or metal bit ? :redface:

frankie g

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ah ! Thanks thats my weekend project, I'll be getting the boat ready tomarrow to take my cousin, and his 2 cousins fishing for Tarpon, Shark, and King fish on Wednsday. That will take me most of the day to prep the boat, rig 15 poles, gas up,wash and wax her. Than Thursday a major cleaning inside and out, and wash and re wax ( I use 303 Protectant, it's a spray so it doesn't take long ) and then Friday I'll go buy the gauge and bit and do it to it . :D Thanks for your help