Water pump impeller key

ljohns5582

Seaman
I have a 1980-81 115 hp tower. I have removed lower unit and replaced several times
with new water pump impeller install, the latest with a new kit.I also tried it with an old impeller and gaskets and it appears that it was scarred inside the housing also. It will pump for about a minute and will quit. It looks like the key is turning inside housing. This is a new implller and gaskets. It is the old key. I thought that with a new impeller that it would hold the key in place.
There is some side to side play on the shaft. How much play should i have?
Throw me some ideas please. Thanks Larry

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water pump impeller key

The Waterpump repair kits come with new impeller keys. I routinely replace them, however, I never noticed any play or wear.

Replace the upper pump, if the SS insert is scratched. Replace the wearplate and gaskets as well as the key. The pump should turn continuously.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: Water pump impeller key

Are you SURE that you are getting the key in place as the impeller slides down over it?

Is it possible that the key is falling out of place and you are not noticing it?

A small spot of grease between the key and the shaft will help 'stick' the key in place as you slide the impeller down over it.

Turn the shaft and impeller as you slide the pump housing down over the impeller.