Water leaking from rubber connection into motor

FreeBayliner4Us

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We took the boat out yesterday and right off the bat the motor started giving me problems. I let it warm up for a minute while at the dock then I put it in gear and it died. Restart and repeat, this happened about three times. Finally I reved the motor for a minute and then put in to gear once the rpms came back down and it worked.

We ran about a mile down the lake and I realized that I needed to trim down a bit (manual trim) so I stopped and adjusted the trim. The same problems again. It would start and then die when I put it in gear. Then it stoped starting at all. I pulled the motor cover to find smoke (had a loose spark plug and fuel/oil was leaking from cylinder) and there was water down in the motorhousing. I gave it a quick shot of starter fluid and it it came back to life but the rubber bellow looking hose from the motor out the back where the water exits the motor housing was leaking and filling the motor housing. It stayed about the same level as the lake and never came near the intake but it was smokey.

I was able to get into gear and away we went. While running the water receaded and I could clearly see the leak (with a friend driving). I put the cover back on and it was fine for the rest of the day.

I need to replace that rubber hose that goes from the block to the back of the motor housing. I think this is the outlet for the cooling water. It is now leaking when I run it on the muffs from the same place. Sorry for the long post... I tend to give too much info.

So what is this part called and where can I get one?

john from md

Commander
Re: Water leaking from rubber connection into motor

That bellows connects the internal leg to the relief ports on the leg cover. It costs about $10 to $16 and can be obtained at most Mercury dealers.

If you have to order on line, try iboats store or www.mercruiser.com.

Regards.

John

FreeBayliner4Us

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks John!!

We took the boat out again this weekend and it ran great. It's amazing when you remember to tighten the sparkplugs how much better the motor runs!

Who knew? :D

I will order the bellow as soon as I can figure out how to get the old one off. I have yet to find a pair of pliars that I can fit down there to get the old clamp off with. Oh boy, another challenge!

Happy boating.

Unbalanced

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I will order the bellow as soon as I can figure out how to get the old one off. I have yet to find a pair of pliars that I can fit down there to get the old clamp off with. Oh boy, another challenge!

Save yourself the frustration and just remove the back cover. ;)

Attachments

• back cover 85 hp force.jpg
    back cover 85 hp force.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 0

timdan94

Chief Petty Officer

Its a PITA even with the rear cover off. its less time consuming to remove the few bolts then do it than it is to try to squeeze your hand down in there.