water being pumped in the bilge when

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok i have gotten my bellows and all changed and finally got it started for the first time using muffs. In doing so it started pouring water into the bilge. The water is all at the bottom of the engine the only thing i can see that is wet is the plate near the starter. No water is getting to the top of the engine pulling off the hose that goes through the transom no water. Not sure if the water that was dumping in was warter that was already in the motor from last time it was run. I was thinking the impeller on the out drive. I am still and amateur and not sure if it could be something else.

Any thoughts

another question should water push through the system with the muffs with out the engine running??

Thanks

thumpar

Admiral
Re: water being pumped in the bulge when

What engine and drive?

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

merc 140 and and alpha one outdrive

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Have you gotten in there and looked while it's running? That's the only way you are going to find a water leak, or you will end up replacing the whole back of the boat by fixing everything thing that could be a possibility.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You could physically look with a flashlight and mirror at the block and manifold and hoses. Either you have a loose hose or possibly cracked manifold or block. Goodluck!

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

finally got it started for the first time using muffs. In doing so it started pouring water into the bilge. The water is all at the bottom of the engine the only thing i can see that is wet is the plate near the starter.

From what you have written it sounds like this is the first time you have started this engine. It also has all the symptoms of an engine missing the core plug ("freeze plug") at the back of the block. Water "pouring" into the bilge is more than a simple leak somewhere. If the only thing that is wet is the plate by the starter.... then that would be my best guess. Don is right of course - the only way to find it is to look, but this is a spot you will only see once you pull then engine. It is the brass plug pictured here:

DSCF5389.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: water being pumped in the bilge when

No water is getting to the top of the engine pulling off the hose that goes through the transom no water.

Ayuh,.... Change the impeller in the lower unit, a complete Kit might be better yet....

My guess is, the flywheel cover was full of water to begin with...
If so, you'll be needin' a new starter, Soon...

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok got the lower unit off today found the tube that goes from the pump housing to the upper unit was melted. Does this happen on a pump failure? I know no waters is going to the engine with the tube like this but what would cause it to get so hot that it would melt that tube.
022.jpg

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

the guide tube melts from lack of cooling water, try pulling the drive, insert water hose into the water inlet and look for the leak.

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Really not sure exactly what you mean by water inlet. The water coming from the lower unit wouldn't make it past there due to the tube being melted wouldn't think it would get that hot in the lower unit due to it being in the water all the time.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Really not sure exactly what you mean by water inlet. The water coming from the lower unit wouldn't make it past there due to the tube being melted wouldn't think it would get that hot in the lower unit due to it being in the water all the time.

dont think you understand how it works. sitting in the water the pump is underwater ,true.
once moving that area above the pump is somewhat dry because its above water. No water coming out the exaust will melt things in a hurry.
Are you using muffs or a container?
the water inlet is where you installed the O ring on the left side of the housing when you installed the outdrive.that tube is only a "guide tube" is not used for any kind on connection.the copper tube "is guided into" the rubber seal of the upper cover

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

dont think you understand how it works. sitting in the water the pump is underwater ,true.
once moving that area above the pump is somewhat dry because its above water. No water coming out the exaust will melt things in a hurry.
Are you using muffs or a container?
the water inlet is where you installed the O ring on the left side of the housing when you installed the outdrive.that tube is only a "guide tube" is not used for any kind on connection.the copper tube "is guided into" the rubber seal of the upper cover

Ok I see. I didn't realize the exhaust travels through that area i now understand how hot that would get. I will give the water hooked up to then inlet and see what it might tell me. I was using muffs One question i asked at the begin of the post was should water get through the motor with out it running but with the muffs hooked up and the water turned on but no one commented on that.

Another thing to know about this boat was that it spent about 3 yrs in a barn and the owner took it out and the engine got hot so he decided just to sell it instead of fix it so i got it for pretty much nothing. The rubber reducer from the riser was dry rotted so the water probably wasn't making it from there all the way out the exhaust. But i will def try the water inlet at the outdrive and see if i can get the water to flow out the exhaust

Oh yeah you were right i didnt understand now i do thanks

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok I think i have done what BT Doctur said to try put a hose on the copper tube and turned the hose on slightly water was coming from two places on was around the mounting for the copper tube and also off the back of the motor but not out the exhaust for sure. I am afraid Fishermark is correct. I am now going to wait for my pump rebuild kit, get that done and the upper and lower units put back together and then see if i can enlist a little help in pulling the motor.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Well, that would explain why the water wasn't getting out to the exhaust - it is all pouring out the back of the engine.

If the core (freeze) plug is the culprit, the then the chances are good the block is cracked as well. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :( But once you pull then engine, you will have a better idea of what the issue is.

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, that would explain why the water wasn't getting out to the exhaust - it is all pouring out the back of the engine.

If the core (freeze) plug is the culprit, the then the chances are good the block is cracked as well. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :( But once you pull then engine, you will have a better idea of what the issue is.

I have already accepted that as a possibility one other thing i found some water in the oil so I have preaty well accepted that i am going to have this issue and have already started looking and think i have found a block so i am going to probably get some engine rebuild knowledge on the way. I have rebuild one a long time ago so I figure it will come back to me when i start plus my daughters boyfriend builds race car engines so he is always around for some advice if i need it.