Want to add a wooden swim platform, looking for design ideas

FreeBayliner4Us

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am looking to add a swim platform to the back of my 68 Starcraft aluminum runabout. I don't want to use fiberglass and love the look of wood so that makes an obvious choice, I have looked around and searched this forum with little luck so I figured I would start a new thread.

Post up your wooden swim platform pics and ideas. Thanks in advance!!

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Want to add a wooden swim platform, looking for design ideas

I built my own out of 1"x1" teak

Attachments

• misschrysler.jpg
    misschrysler.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 0

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You cannot expect any kind of glue to hold up to the conditions the swim platform will need to endure. Plan to build it using hardwood (mahogany and teak are "marine" woods) and threaded shafts or long bolts to hold it together. Screws may work under some circumstances, as well

FreeBayliner4Us

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tahorover,

That is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship!! I hope you are proud of it. If you could send me or post more pics of it and any details on how you made it I would be forever indebted to you. That is very much inline with what I was thinking about but, didn't know how to make it strong enough.

I had though of using 1x2 or 1x4 pieces of wood on an 1x1 aluminum frame hidden by a 1x2 frame around the outside edge of the platform. Leaving about a half inch gap between the boards for drainage and rounding all edges for safety with an boarding ladder mounted under it for a clean look.

I guess I will use mahogany since my boat came with a mahogany veneer on the bow that I plan to replace. I can match the front to the rear.

Another question is how close to the waterline should a swim platform be? I was thinking about 3-6" above it? Any thoughts?

Thanks again guys!!

Grand Larsony

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd say 5" minimum above water line.

One thing to consider... it's obvious that you need to build it strong enough to hold the weight of passengers (possibly 4-5 men at times), but make equally sure you build it strong enough for the OPPOSITE load (e.g. from the bottom up, as when large boat wakes approach your transom and slam upwards into the platform).

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer

Check out this thread for more ideas.. this guy made a pretty awesome looking platform. Just to give you more ideas...

FreeBayliner4Us

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check out this thread for more ideas.. this guy made a pretty awesome looking platform. Just to give you more ideas...

That platform is what I was thinking about making except I was going to bolt it to an aluminum frame for added support. I have friends that can weld mounting flanges on aluminum so I was going to cut and mock everything up and let them stitch it all together for me. Braces, mounting flanges, and handrails would all be connected through the framework. The boards would end up just being decking. I have a tendency to over build things so picture a ladder capped at each end with rungs about a 12"-16" apart. That would be the framework with four lower struts and a handrail at each end that doubled as bracing. Then the ladder would mount to the bottom of the framework instead of the boat. Think that would be strong enough?

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sounds good to me.

FreeBayliner4Us

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found these Stainless Steel brackets this weekend that I think will be perfect. From the looks of it they plan on you using two but I think I will be using 3. Two on the left side of the motor where the ladder will be, and one on the right. If that doesn't seem strong enough I will add a fourth but, I think three will be fine.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...toreNum=10105&subdeptNum=10397&classNum=10399

Here is the ladder I plan to mount underneath.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...toreNum=10105&subdeptNum=10397&classNum=10398

I am starting with a blank slate so I am open to ideas.

DSCN3103.jpg

Keep those suggestions coming!!

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thats to much money to me for 1 bracket. I would go with 4

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

maybe look at boat junkyard a use one from an old junked boat.--
also whatch the outdrive clearance--I would think 2 bracketts both sides of the outdrive.

FreeBayliner4Us

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I thought the price of the brackets was a bit high also. But being Stainless Steel I thought they might be a better option than my aluminum idea that I originally had. I just reread the listing for them and noticed that they are sold individually. For some reason I was thinking that price was for a pair... Duh!!

So back to the Aluminum plan...

phonfish

Cadet

Call Budget Boats in Chesapeake Va. THey are a boat parts junk yard.

FreeBayliner4Us

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks AGAIN Tahoe!! You are just full of helpful info... I am going to have to keep you around. :D

I appreceate all the advice guys. I will be starting a resto thread shortly. This summer has been my busiest ever for work (good problem to have, I know) so I have had little time to mess with any of my projects. I am still hoping to at least have it running good enough for a test run or two before it cools off to much to enjoy it.

All I need now is free time and money... Where did I plant that money tree???

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Talking with friends who have platforms, and listening to complains about marinas adding costs for overnights in a slip due to the extended length, Im surprised that I haven't seen more platforms that are hinged to fold up.

So, thats my design idea. Folding swim platform.

Daddoo

Cadet

I thought the price of the brackets was a bit high also. But being Stainless Steel I thought they might be a better option than my aluminum idea that I originally had. I just reread the listing for them and noticed that they are sold individually. For some reason I was thinking that price was for a pair... Duh!!

So back to the Aluminum plan...

I have a '69 Holiday and am considering a swim platform. Did you ever build one?