volvo timing belt

ricks003

Cadet
thanks for all the help everybody gave me on changing my broken timing belt, everything went great, the only thing now is that while sea testing (freshwater only) my boat goes about 2 - 3 mph faster and the rpms went past the 5000 redline up to 5200 at wot. my main question is if the belt was off by one mark would the timing be advanced, would the engine run normal if the timing was off a one notch? the engine is a 1993 volvo 230 4 cylinder. thanks for any help.

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer
Re: volvo timing belt

The only way to know for sure is to test the timing electrically. Do you hear pinning from the engine when accellerating? :cool:

SystemF

Petty Officer 3rd Class

More than likely if your belt is off by one notch your engine would run so rough you couldn't stand it. Many times I have had "free wheeling" *if the timing belt breaks pistons don't hit valves* 4 bangers with timing belt chain replacments. Many times I have gotten the belt/chain off by one cog and let me tell you it ran like someone had put the spark plugs on all wrong. I doubt that is the problem. More than likely the issue is the new belt isn't old and flexable and dosen't allow the cam to "lag" behind like the old belt did. So your engine is probably running more powerfully since the cam and crank are in time. If you broke a belt then it was old and had quite a bit of flex. Just a very educated guess.

ricks003

Cadet

thanks for the replys , i guess everything is ok then, the engine runs very smooth so i guess the timing is right on.

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

You need a bigger prop to get rid of that extra 200 rpm. Ha Ha! :cool:

ricks003

Cadet

i was going to ask about that , the prop that is on there says 14 L 21, what could i go with???

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ricks, why would you change a timing/cam belt and not check ignition timing after you had it running?

ricks003

Cadet

checking the timing with a light is something that should have been done right away, but i did not have one handy, after the timing belt was installed i fired the engine up and idled better then it ever did, so we never checked timing. so we tryed it out on the river and the boat went faster then it ever has, i listened for any pinging at wot and the engine sounded great. but you should never assume the timing is right until yoiu check it with a gun. thanks

zakaih7

Seaman Apprentice

I have the same set up in my boat. A 17/19 used up the extra rpm perfectly for me and gave me about 4mph as well.<br /><br />Good luck<br /><br />Michael<br />zakiah7